Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My GIANT Farady cage

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

My GIANT Farady cage

Here it is. The giant ALuminum Faraday box.

I took what I learned from my foil box construction (http://www.shtfready.com/communicati...-box-1221.html) and Expendable's thread on foil boxes and conductivity (http://www.shtfready.com/equipment-b...test-1192.html) ...... and morphed it into this. Go big or go home, right?

Let me tell you...........trying to mount a full size toolbox to a wall by yourself is not fun. I had to hold it one handed while I used the drill/ inserted bolts witht he other.

Anyway, the plan is to get some L brackets and make some wood shelves inside. It is plenty big enough to hold all my electronics gear....radios....gps....etc.

I used bolts with rubber buffers (to insulate the box) to attach it to the wall.

This was given to me a long time ago and I just used it as a junk gear locker. Now I actually get some use out of it.

I will add pics and updates as the project unfolds.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

That looks awesome! I feel like a total dumbass now though, when you first brought it up I was envisioning one of the boxes with hatches on each end that open toward the center. This makes a lot more sense now. lol
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

BTW, dont laugh at my lights.....It's all I have until I get real electricity run to the barn. LOL
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Very interesting project and clever use of already available items.

Nice use of the ant head in a project. That *could* be our next contest.

And yes, we will mock your lights. Make no mistake about it.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

Nice 'Freakin' lights!!! rofl!

Seriously, nice setup, I can't see in the pic, but do you have it grounded?

how 'tight' is the seal?

what is the seal?

would something like a standard 'behind the gas tank built for straps semi truck alumininium box' work?

BTW... did I say: NICE JOB!!

For the Love of Cats

Does anyone have any info about a REAL safe as a farady cage?

I have one, came out of a closing sale for a jewellery store. this thing is seriously thick steel, with a drill proof membrane, a concrete heat layer, another drill membrane, and then more seriously thick steel!

thoughts?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I see Backpacker hasn't commented on your cage....is there an airhole in that thing? LOL.

That's a nice set up. Are you going to shelf it inside?
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    I see Backpacker hasn't commented on your cage....is there an airhole in that thing? LOL.

That's a nice set up. Are you going to shelf it inside?
    Yes, I am going to shelf it on the inside.

I'll update the thread as funds become available to buy some suppplies.

It has a gasket seal around the lid/door. seals up pretty good. I'm going to seal the original vehicle mounting holes with some caulk to make it watertight.

I haven't thought about grounding it. Maybe I will do that. It is bolted to wood...........for the most, I believe wood to have been non-conductive since the beginning of time.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Izzy, run a grounding strap to either the house grounding rod or to a cold water pipe. If possible use braided copper wire.
    Last edited by Stg1swret; 01-26-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Stg1swret View Post
    Izzy, run a grounding strap to either the house grounding rod or to a cold water pipe. If possible use braided copper wire.
    I'm about 75 yards from the house or any other structure. no electricity in the barn. What else could I use?