Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone raise rabbits?

For the Love of Cats

Maybe if I tell her that they were depressed and killed themselves just for us...

ROFL.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

For Izzy and Sniper (again)
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 01-27-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Does not recommend blowing rocks up yourself

I've raised New Zealand and California types. They will put on more weight quicker than other breeds I have tried.

I try to keep three does and a one buck. That keeps me in meat about all the time. For me, the cute wears off after several months and they start reminding me of rats with long ears. They still taste good though.

JMO
    Doug

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I have Champagne rabbits. Just getting started with them. Got 4 pregnant does from a breeder. All 4 delivered, one had 5 all lived. one had 3 all died. the other two each had one, and they both died. Going to breed one of the males babies back to the other 3 females.

A laugh a minute
    Last edited by Taz Baby; 02-04-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I'm gonna build a hutch, and get my son a Flemish Giant, which I hear is a great meat rabbit, and they apparently think they are dogs and will actually play with kids. Once he has the experience with one, we'll get some more and start raising them, my wife is the same as most, and wouldn't relish the eating of "pets" regardless of whether we had a barn full of them, but she is on board with prepping, and knows the time may come when food isn't available 2 minutes away at Wally World. We went to the Fort Worth Stock Show last week, and my son loved the rabbits. I had Lops when I was a kid, so I am pretty good with rabbits. I had a Holland Lop that used a litter box, and played with the dog, he came to us from a single lady who had raised him in an apartment, and never caged him. I know that convincing a child that pets (wabbits) are food would be tough at first, but we're not gonna B.S. him like other parents would, he'll figure it out with some help. I like rabbit, and they're fairly low maintenance as far as upkeep, so they'll be our protein source if SHTF after we get our next house set up the way we want it. If SHTF before then, we'll have to hunt the ones around here while we can, which won't be long because everyone else will have the same idea initially. I live right smack in the middle of town, but next to a very large park, and it is crawling with bunnies.

Here is why I like the Giants.... Redirect Notice
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

GunnerMax
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I have to do this in Baby steps.
    I'm doing this in the guise of pets for the twins. However, my ulterior motive is , of course, meat rabbits.

When SHTF, my wife wont ask questions, she will ranger up and drive on.....right now, however, If I told her we were eating bunny rabbit, she would hit the floor.
    lol!

GunnerMax
    izzy, how do you plan on housing these rabbits? in an aboveground fenced in cage with chickenwire? I know there was a thread talking about this somewhere.

ah, found it http://www.shtfready.com/all-things-...bits-1031.html

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I actually have a rabbit huch on the side of my barn. thats where I'm going to kep them.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.