Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bison

A laugh a minute

Smile Bison

Now this is an amazing animal. There was a farmer who raised these animals close to where I use to live in Fla. He started out with just a few for his family. Then he starting selling them and it took off from there. I use to buy meat from him. How many of you have eaten this? They are such a gentle animal and beautiful to watch. Much better than raising cows.

I'll most likely shit myself

I've had Bison a few times. It's one of the best tasting meats I've ever had. If we ever get moved to a BOL (one day I hope) I would like to raise Bison.

Do you have a robot?
    I understand that they are real hard on fences.

Okay let me guess they taste like chicken right?

A laugh a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    I understand that they are real hard on fences.

Okay let me guess they taste like chicken right?
    lol, no but iguana does. Belizian call them bamboo chickens.

For the Love of Cats

There are a lotof bison raised up[ here. I can buy a yearling, on the hoof for less than $200. I LOVE it! it is great meat, although it does take a little practice in cooking it.

There is no other animal around that I can kill for as cheap.

I can go out to a pasture, pick my animal, shoot it and use the farmers tractor to process it. AMAZING meat. I know that some people are against it, but there isn't a chunk of muscle on that animal I cannot cook deliciously, and falling apart tender!

mmm, I love Bison!

Do you have a robot?
    Okay I have to admit I've has steak and salami, it was outstanding. No it did not taste like chicken but I couldn't resist. The one thing that is nice about Bison is they are gentle on the landscape, they don't tear up the pasture. I would love to get one but there is no way I could keep it other than in the freezer..........

Where's the epi?

Best meat you will ever eat. Healthy as well.
    I apologize for nothing...

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Bison is wonderful neat. Very lean for the most part. So for that reason you need to learn to season it properly. Also in cooking bison the best phrase i can say is "Slow and Low".

I live 30 miles from Theodore Roosevelt national park here in North Dakota. There is a nice herd in the park. We em every time we go. As far as "Gentle" goes... well i dont fully agree there. The sheer mass of the animals makes em not so gentle. And in the park you need to be VERY careful when driving by them. And god forbid your out walking and happen across a momma with calf. No trees in the park to climb to get away from em. The whole herd is protective of the young.

A laugh a minute
    Protective instincts are expected from wild animals and people, lol. But I know from the ones I was around they were like over grown lap dogs. But of coarse they were raised by loving people who spent time interacting with them. Does any one have any bison farms around you? If so go watch them for awhile. Just lovely to see.

I made bison steak once, several years ago. It was just ok; nothing to write home about. In retrospect, I probably should have used more seasoning. Our zoo serves bison burgers right next to the bison exhibit, which I think is just beyond mean. They are also very dry and mealy tasting. Perhaps I just haven't experienced it properly yet, but I would much rather have chicken or beef.