Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donkies and Mules

I'll most likely shit myself

Grumpy I'm thinkin you need to come for a visit and teach some skills when I get my BOL property.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

or he could just come out to mine and we can all have a pow-wow.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Where's the epi?

Nope....I'm claiming him! I have more work for him to do! And I'm a GIRL! LOL!
    I apologize for nothing...

A laugh a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Nope....I'm claiming him! I have more work for him to do! And I'm a GIRL! LOL!
    and girls are first, remember? Or was that girls rule.

A laugh a minute
    Lady are you wanting full size or mini? CL has mini for 100.00 in Greenville Tn. Also look in free. Oh and BTW. There is a craigslistpal.com. Download that program and you can search what you want in any radius. I use it to search within a 100 Miles of me. Just mark what state, city, catergory, and miles. That way you don,t have to go do each one. Saves time and you don,t miss anything

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Well, if things don't get better here I may be looking to relocate. It's just that I've made it a practice not to go east of the Mississippi unless I'm forced to; I may have to re-think that. There is a really good book called "The Body Language of Horses" by Tom Ainslee and Bonnie Ledbetter. He's a handicapper and his POV pertains to handicapping horse races. He won me some money!! Bonnie is more an Equestrian POV and deals with those issues.

Free horses may or may not come with bad habits. There is usually a reason they are free! Horses, like any other animal have unique personalities. Z is a prankster but loves his job. 10 is an affectionate mare, but she is a mare and gets notional. She really is a woman's horse, she flat out doesn't like men on her back! (Sound familiar??) I had one horse, Cobask that was in a perpetual state of fear outside the stable, even in the company of other horses. There was only one little girl (~14) that he would calm down with; I finally gave him to her as all he was doing was costing me money. She made a reasonable riding horse out of him for herself.

When you purchase a horse, a halter should be included; it's customary. You'll need brushes, hoof picks, shedding blades, lead ropes, tack boxes, feed buckets, poop rake, a generous supply of various Lexol products and a lot of patience. Watch their feet and yours-they'll step on your foot, look at you with the "What are you yelling about now Carrot Guy?" look and not move until you shove. Horses respond to pressure; that is why neck reining works and why you knees signal direction as well.

I can ramble about ponies all day long and have some hilarious tales to tell.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    Lady are you wanting full size or mini? CL has mini for 100.00 in Greenville Tn. Also look in free. Oh and BTW. There is a craigslistpal.com. Download that program and you can search what you want in any radius. I use it to search within a 100 Miles of me. Just mark what state, city, catergory, and miles. That way you don,t have to go do each one. Saves time and you don,t miss anything
    Standard or Mammoth. Mini has no use other than to be cute. I am going for animals only that are going to be useful in some way. I don't want the extra work for no return. I told my dh that I am not going to be a farm whore. We will still have a life and I want to have time for family and hobbies so animals will be limited to specific reasons. If he decides he wants horses instead of mules for work then we will need to be looking for more of a draft horse that we can ride too and then I'll get donkies as well. Either way I'm going to get donkies...I just love them for some reason. It's up in the air on horse/mules....I have to see what dh wants, I keep talking about the mules but he doesn't seem to be real keen on the idea but I think they are very smart, strong and underestimated so the more I read about them the more I like them.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Well, if things don't get better here I may be looking to relocate. It's just that I've made it a practice not to go east of the Mississippi unless I'm forced to; I may have to re-think that. There is a really good book called "The Body Language of Horses" by Tom Ainslee and Bonnie Ledbetter. He's a handicapper and his POV pertains to handicapping horse races. He won me some money!! Bonnie is more an Equestrian POV and deals with those issues.

Free horses may or may not come with bad habits. There is usually a reason they are free! Horses, like any other animal have unique personalities. Z is a prankster but loves his job. 10 is an affectionate mare, but she is a mare and gets notional. She really is a woman's horse, she flat out doesn't like men on her back! (Sound familiar??) I had one horse, Cobask that was in a perpetual state of fear outside the stable, even in the company of other horses. There was only one little girl (~14) that he would calm down with; I finally gave him to her as all he was doing was costing me money. She made a reasonable riding horse out of him for herself.

When you purchase a horse, a halter should be included; it's customary. You'll need brushes, hoof picks, shedding blades, lead ropes, tack boxes, feed buckets, poop rake, a generous supply of various Lexol products and a lot of patience. Watch their feet and yours-they'll step on your foot, look at you with the "What are you yelling about now Carrot Guy?" look and not move until you shove. Horses respond to pressure; that is why neck reining works and why you knees signal direction as well.

I can ramble about ponies all day long and have some hilarious tales to tell.
    You are right about some of those bad habits! But out in our neck of the woods they are free because so many people are getting to the point that they can't afford to keep them any more so they are giving them away. TN is big horse country so when you have so many horses it's hard to sell them all so it's easier to try to find them a good home. The person who would find the horses for us is an ex jockey and knows everything horse so I know we would get good healthy ones from people he knows. He's in an area where everyone knows everyone. But if we go the horse route it may be harder to find the ones we want free since they would probably be draft horses but we can find percherons for about $800 ea. last I saw. Time will tell.

Where's the epi?

p.s. Grumpy....what's wrong with east of the Mississippi?????

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Mini has no use other than to be cute. I am going for animals only that are going to be useful in some way. I don't want the extra work for no return.
    Whoooaaaaa there missy! Just an FYI - Mini Mules and Donkeys and Horses can pull up to 5x's their body weight. They take up less real estate, they burn up less hay, and it doesn't hurt quite as much when they step on your feet. Now - you have to bend over constantly with these guys - if you have a weak back - I'd bet it won't help. Every breed, every build has its trade off. The amount of strength it takes to hold up and work the hooves on drafts or lazy mares like mine who treat you like you are their fourth leg when you trim their hooves is substancial. Training or getting an animal who has been trained properly or even has a good foundation is the most important thing for someone new or newer to the equine world. Knowing a few basic but necessary questions to ask people giving away their horses can really help keep you out of the hospital.