Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Donkies and Mules

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

WIP made some really good points. I'm too stove up anymore to do my own trimming and I never was better than average at setting shoes, so I use a farrier that's really good. Of course SoCal where I live is big horse country- to the point that our local watering hole has a rodeo arena in front and a saloon in back, hence the name "The Wild West Arena and Saloon". I also use a horse dentist to float my ponies' teeth. He is much better than any vet. I do as much of my own diagnosing as I can, but I rely on the vet for my 5-ways and West Nile vaccinations and rabies, but I worm them myself.

Like WIP said, they are big animals that can injure you if you aren't paying attention. I agree that it's worth the money to get a horse with a good foundation. If you have a friend that can help select the free horses, like your jockey friend then you are one step ahead of the game.

As to what is wrong with east of the Mississippi, well nothing really except for the humidity. It's just not my preferred habitat; I like the west more with the mountains, deserts and plains and........low humidity. It really affects my sinuses.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by work in progress View Post
    Whoooaaaaa there missy! .
    WIP you crack me up!!!!! Well I can confortably say that my dh will no way no how agree to mini anything. I used to ride (actually from a toddler all through high school) but haven't been on a horse in years so I have no fear of them and I am hoping that it will be like getting back on a bike, ya never forget. My sister raises horses and has a wonderful vet, farrier and her neighbor shows horses - trains them so I think I will have a pretty good support group once we get over to our property and decide to get them. She bugs me all the time to go riding with her but I just never have had the time to go yet but I will probably start going when the weather gets nice just to get my butt back in shape...we trail ride in these parts up in the mountains so it'll take some time to get in shape. I can hear my butt and inner theighs screaming already. I had just thought about mules since I read they were such a good work animal and in a shtf scenario they may be a good alternative to a horse since they could do double duty and thought I would ask ya'lls opinion.
    I apologize for nothing...