Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new (old) BOV

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

My new (old) BOV

So..... after dealing with 2 auto transport services, one lousy and one great, my 1973 jeep truck is at Doc's shop for the engine rebuild. (Thank you No.1 grandson, Buckwheat!) I'll post pics a little later, but engine info: 360 cid, 2 bbl carb, 4.10 front and rear gears (4x4), original Warn locking hubs, manual transmission. Body is reasonable for a vehicle that old, no major rust. It needs a new clutch disk and throw out bearing, pressure plate seems okay.

Since Buckwheat signed the title over to me for bailing him out of a financial jam, I was already upside down in the truck. But as I have it, I may as well get it in shape. Plus it will be great for pulling my horse trailer. It truly is built like a tank. Updates will follow as work progresses. Pics, Wednesday I hope.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Nice, grumpy. Cant wait for the pics.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Sounds nice Grumpy.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Do you have a robot?
    You really will have a new old truck. That is not a bad idea. Good score..........I think. I would love to do the same thing if nothing else just to blend in with a totally reliable old truck but the wife says that is not going to happen as long as she is around. I'm going to miss her........no just kidding but I am looking for something that might work. A truck not a new wife......toooooo expensive for a new wife. Will be looking forward for the pictures. Good luck.

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice score Grumpy. With the little work you mentioned it should make you a nice truck for years to come.

That was built back when trucks were trucks.
    As long as the shop is pulling the motor, and you are putting in a clutch disc, you really ought to spend the extra hundred or so and replace the pressure plate as long as you are in there.
    And dont forget to put a new front seal on the transmission - that's a $6 part that is real expensive to replace later on.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    That was built back when trucks were trucks.
    As long as the shop is pulling the motor, and you are putting in a clutch disc, you really ought to spend the extra hundred or so and replace the pressure plate as long as you are in there.
    And dont forget to put a new front seal on the transmission - that's a $6 part that is real expensive to replace later on.
    Yeah RPD, that's what I'm going over to Docs for today...to give him more money for parts!! Doc Werden is somewhat of a local legend here in SoCal; PhD in Automotive Engineering, has a racing team and he's an honest mechanic! They're repainting the engine compartment after steam cleaning. These guys are good and they are all about our (you, me Stg, etc) age, so they do things the old fashioned way and make sure that the job is done right. I take my other truck there for service as well.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

It's hard to find shops like that anymore. RPD is right, a new P plate will wear much better with the new clutch. The front seal on the tranny, and the rear engine seal for that matter will be much easier and cheaper to replace now while it's torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    It's hard to find shops like that anymore. RPD is right, a new P plate will wear much better with the new clutch. The front seal on the tranny, and the rear engine seal for that matter will be much easier and cheaper to replace now while it's torn down.
    Yeah. Don't ask me how I know this.
    Remember - the cheapest price is not always the best price.

So True, So True!