Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomahawks

In his experience the hammer head is better

In my experience the hammer head is better. The spike on the Vietnam hawk had very few uses. I find the hammer and curved head combo to be the best for me. Its much better than trying to use the side of the hawk as a hammer.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Think of it this way folks. These tools/weapons have been used as tomahawks/handaxes by peoples all over the globe for thousands of years. There is a very good reason for this. They are both tool and weapon. And if you know how to use them they can do a LOT more than you would give them credit for.

Excellent dropy. I couldn't have out it better myself. It's been used for millennia by people from all over the world. I try not to leave home without it.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Those are nice, Izzy.
    I like a Tomahawk, and have one of these:
    AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY : LaGana Tactical (VTAC)
    I like it, but without the hammer head it has limited survival uses. Also, while the sheath is quite secure, it sucks for a combat weapon. By the time you got it out, the fight would be over. I went so far as to stipple the lower 4" or 5" of the handle for better grip.

Ok the Pipe Hawk is done, shortened, sharpened, and wrapped. Simple sheath on it that I plan on taking off if I may need it. The Hawk itself will hang in a simple loop on my battle belt for very fast access.

GunnerMax
    Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F01T Tactical Tomahawk, Black: Home Improvement
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

are two that I would like to get. I am leaning on the Cold Steel one though, if I have to pick one.

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    Ok the Pipe Hawk is done, shortened, sharpened, and wrapped. Simple sheath on it that I plan on taking off if I may need it. The Hawk itself will hang in a simple loop on my battle belt for very fast access.

I like the Pipe hawk. Looks nice with the handle wrapped. I've never woven the para cord. How did you go about wrapping it. Specifically how did you tie it off on both ends? Single layer or two?

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I guess I'll chime in with my $0.02. I have thrown hawks for a couple of dozen years at Rendezvous. I traded my Rifleman's hawk to my youngest son for a Hudson Bay Camp knife. I like my francesca for throwing; ones like it fought Gaius Julius Caesar during his Gallic campaigns. I have a CS Trail hawk that I like and I'm going to get another Rifleman's hawk after 8 years of being without one.

Basically, you can make it look high tech but is a very low tech tool. One of the original tools I might add. So, I recommend getting a Cold Steel Rifleman's or Pipe hawk as an entry into the field.

Throwing tip-make sure your throwing knife and hawk weigh the same!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I will keep watching this one - I am very interested in a hawk and want to get all the info I can before purchasing.

Crotch Rocket

How is it that cold chunks of metal festooned with wooden sticks can make me drool like Gomer Pyle over a jelly doughnut?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!