Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomahawks

I'll most likely shit myself

SHAZAM! Me to Rat, Met to.

Crotch Rocket

At least I know I'm in good company then!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

In his experience the hammer head is better

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I like the Pipe hawk. Looks nice with the handle wrapped. I've never woven the para cord. How did you go about wrapping it. Specifically how did you tie it off on both ends? Single layer or two?
    At the top I start with a clove hitch and tuck the end under. Then I melt the end so it bonds with the line. Then I just start doing half hitches the whole way down and it creates the appearance of the second layer, and the functionality of the better grip. I finish it by running it through the lanyard hole, and the tracing it through the last half hitch and again melting the end. I pull it super tight after every hitch and by the end I usually have blisters.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    How is it that cold chunks of metal festooned with wooden sticks can make me drool like Gomer Pyle over a jelly doughnut?
    Because they take us back to a more basic time in history. And because they just look and feel cool!!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I have owned several hawks over the years and to date, the Cold Steel ones are the best ones I have owned personally. I had the chance to meet the creators of Cold Steel and those guys are tops. I also like TOPS products but, my Cold Steel has never let me down no matter the situation so, I haven't had the need to change yet. But I might very well give TOPS a look and see what I can see. hoooyah

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    The Laguna Tomahawk I have is the only one I found with an NSN number.
    I figure if Spec Ops guys can chop their way into cars with them, I'd never hurt mine.

Crotch Rocket

Just out of curiosity, and not because I actually cut myself on it or anything... Just "how sharp" should a hawk be? And if I did, hypothetically speaking, manage to cut myself while cleaning up the edge on one, would it then be considered a blade in the same fashion as a knife?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I try for as sharp as possible. Makes you have to resharpen more often, however the sharper the better if a undesirable ever needs attention. Thats just my opinion, my pipe hawk is pretty close to being able to easily shave. Its worth the extra effort.

Crotch Rocket

Ok. So getting a thin slice akin to a paper cut when you barely graze a knuckle against the edge is a good thing then. Cool. I'll own that one then.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

That is a very good thin IMHO. Like I said the fine edge is more likely to dent and dull, but that's what sharpeners are for.

Btw I got the edge started for u jk.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov