Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomahawks

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Tomahawks

What thoughts does everyone have about tomahawks. I know tht these can be an outstanding survival tool. So I thought we could have a little tomahawk discussion going on.

Due to a few comments in Tunnelrat's bugout thread, I was reminded about how much I want a tomahawk. But in true Izzy style, I want something different. I want a combat tomahawk.

Here's whats on my wish list. I say wish list, cause these are pretty steep.

These are by American Kami
    ...AMERICAN KAMI... ...AXE...

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Heres the other one I really like:

Daniel Winker, Master Bladesmith

I really like thee, but they come with a Steeeeeeeeeeep price tag.

In general, what are you guys' opinions of the tomahawk?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

He can get it up, but getting it down again might be, ah, interesting....wait...we're talking about airplanes right?
    So you get a piece of steel the right thickness, and start to shape it, making sure not to get it too hot so as not to wreck the crystalline structure of the metal. When you get it pretty close to how you want it, start building the handle, and fit 'em together. Then heat-treat and temper the metal, fit it to the handle, and go with whatever finish you want to use. Then it will be the Izzyscout Hawk, #1....

I guess I'm old fashioned, or just old. I prefer the riflemans hawk from cold steel. I've had mine for 15years or so and I haven't destroyed it yet. It throws well and holds a good edge. If I ever broke the handle I can make a new hickory handle for it.

I like the one in the last picture as it looks a little more traditional. It looks like the head and handle are all made from one piece of steel and the handles laminated on the outside, Should be very strong.

Do you have a robot?
    I like them. I want one. When I get it I will probably end up cutting myself with it. That said I refuse to pay a fortune for one. So if I do get one I will either make it myself or buy one that is not a months rent. If I did that then the wife would say I would have to get rid of one of my guns, can't do that. Izzy thems hawks sure are perttttty. Unfortunately those are some of the ones that I like.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    You should check out TOPS knives. ( TOPS Knives.com )They are the guys I go to when I am getting ready to deploy to Bad People Lands. Ive carried TOPS since they was a fledgling company hawking their wares at gun shows. Simple, durable, and badass. What more can you ask for?
    I purchased my niece a ALRT (ANYWHERE LAST RESORT TOOL) and she was lucky enough to have it when she was walking home from college and she had a guy try to mug her. He got 3 strikes to the face and ran off screaming. She admits she doesnt know who was screaming more, her or the guy who tried to mug her, but it was enough to bring a lot of people out of their houses to come to her aid! Although they never caught the guy, she still carries it everyday. But anyways, they make a badass knife and tomahawks as well. Should check them out Izzy, you may just like them, they look like they may be just up your alley!

A laugh a minute
    A friend of my son,s use to make knives out of lawnmower blades. He made small ones and macheties. He decided to take it to a new level and made axes and tomahawks. He used cedar, hickory and oak for handles. They were all really neat looking. He made me an oyster knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    So you get a piece of steel the right thickness, and start to shape it, making sure not to get it too hot so as not to wreck the crystalline structure of the metal. When you get it pretty close to how you want it, start building the handle, and fit 'em together. Then heat-treat and temper the metal, fit it to the handle, and go with whatever finish you want to use. Then it will be the Izzyscout Hawk, #1....

I'd like to do that. Would you be able to detail the process in a thread? I'll try it.

In his experience the hammer head is better

Here are mine, I prefer the cold steel hawks. They are cheap but made of decent steel, hold a edge well, and stand up to some serious abuse. I cut down the handle on my hawks to balance them our better. They are very good weapons for hand to hand. I now have the the pipe hawk which is nice because it has a better curve for hooking in hand to hand and has the hammer on the end.

I will post pics of the pipe hawk I sharpened it to a razor edge, wrapped the handle and shortened it. Its my new favorite hawk.

I'll most likely shit myself

I love the hawks by Winkler, but no way in hell would i shhhell out that kinda money. The more thought i give it, i want the hawk with the hammer head on it. I think it's much more versitle.