Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Written SHTF Plans

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Written SHTF Plans

I'm a very visual person and prefer to absorb information through bullet points and pictures than listening.

As such I'm wondering if anybody has ever taken the time to write out SHTF plans for various scenarios?

This can be anything as simple as a 8x10 sheet of paper with some scribbled notes to a formalized 3-ring binder of SOP's for various events.

If you've done this can you describe how you went about organizing your thoughts. Also, any sort of "lessons learned" would be great too.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

wow, a very broad and subjective question. But I'll give it a whirl.

I write a bunch of reports and 'shtuff' for work, and the simplest explanation is two fold.

A. KISS
    B. Start at the beginning, follow through the middle and finish at the end.

Easier said than done eh? lol

Start with an expungment of everything you know, what you don't know but want to, and add some question marks for what you think you might need.

Then organize them into the rough categories above... or, to refine them
    1. Introduction
    2. Premise
    3. substanciating facts
    4. Hypothesis/Theories
    5. Supporting/refuting facts
    6. Summary
    7. Conclusion

so, for example:

1. Earthquake
    2. large scale earthquake, near home.
    3. realistically, up to magnitude x.x; would cause x damage. would create x havok to supply lines, utilities, etc
    4a. Bug In
    4b. Bug Out
    5. Steps involved in either scenario, from your primary location from realistic locations. from work? from the mall? etc.

If in, are you set up inside for the long haul, what needs to be done:
    A. Immediately,
    B. ASAP,
    C. When there's time,
    D. continually, as the event unfolds.

if bugging out, what needs to be done as above^

6. in this scenario, you will need x items that you have and x items that you do not.

7. you can make a shopping list for needs/wants.

Once you have this essentially roughed out, go over it with family and friends, see what they have to add, and carry on.

remember, your needs to get home from a range day in a hardened 4x4 will be a little different than your wife's from a jewelery party, or bridal shower. (and vice versa). have sub categories for each person, for each forseeable scenario. start small, and then increase.

just my .02c

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Everything Sniper-T said and......I keep a 2" binder. (I'm a big one on talking at work and writing ideas down to use.
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 02-07-2012 at 04:03 AM.

GunnerMax
    this is a good idea. I will have to make one of these, with road directions to my BOL/mothers/cousins, wherever the need is to go (and a road atlas/compass) attached...

good idea, I proposed. Dont forget a road atlas and compass in this binder. It would be indispensable.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

The Atlas and compass is a good idea (I keep a compass in my gear but my Atlas is outdated due to the TomTom. You might also want to look at the chance your on foot and picking up maps of your nearest states you may visit later. You could seal them in ziplocs top keep them safe and bury them in your gear until needed.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I did one for my wife, kind of a checklist of sorts for the "If I'm Not Here and it's TEOTWAWKI" type thing, but it really is just 1. Arm yourself, or at least make ready access to a weapon. 2. Secure doors and windows (up to and including blocking with furniture 3. If at night, break out emergency light sources and secure them against possible fire danger 4. Pack appropriate clothing for son, and herself. 5. stage dry goods and canned goods near door for quick removal. 6. retrieve "camping gear tubs from storage if safely possible" 7. Use emergency radio to assess situation, take notes if possible with specific threat info (assume I am on-foot or unable to communicate) 8. prepare/stage essentials for hygiene needs for 30+ days. 9. Attempt electronic communication thru text, email, phone if possible. 10. Fill tubs for extra utility water if possible 11. take containers to downstairs hose bibs and fill with water (we live on the second floor, and one would assume there is still water in the lines) 12. Inventory currently available food in freezer and make consumption plans/menu in case no power returns before the thaw starts to ruin food 13. Assess EARLY in the event whether or not the building in which we live is compromised as far as fire nearby, chemical spill nearby (I can walk out the front door into the parking garage, and pee off the garage onto a MAJOR highway) I feel like the assessment of the building can be made pretty fast, is it damaged other than windows broken or minor roof damage, but nearby threats like fire or chemicals are a major concern because of the highway. several months before we moved here, a gasoline tanker truck lost control on the highway ramp, flipped and exploded, a river of fire ran down the ramp onto the main part of the highway, and into the drainage ditches and parking lot of the building I live in. The fire burned so hot, that it melted the aluminum window frames in the NW side of my building, and the oak trees in the landscaping were burned to a stump. This isn't in order, just off the top of my head, and I've pre-staged empty army style duffles with the tubs of gear that would need to go if we G.O.O.D. for my wife to pack things she uses daily or may need that are either in short supply, or critical for her day-to-day peace of mind for her and my son. She knows WHERE to go, and HOW to go if I don't return in a timely fashion, but it would be sketchy.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

GunnerMax
    BTW guys, AAA (if you are a member, if not, i can get you some) give free maps of areas.

For the Love of Cats

When I am getting ready to write a report, or a proposal or whatever, I usually start with a pad of sticky notes and point form try to write out everything I can think of, that I want to say. order doesn't matter. but write them one point per sticky. Then using the template above, or another of the thousands available online, like: Report Writing : Academic Skills Centre : University of Canberra... I sort them out into a logical sequence across my desk.

Once you can see how it looks, you can often see holes, and/or redundancies, and pare it down, and elaborate where necessary. Once I have the gist of what I want to write in place, I pick them all up, sticking them into a pile, in order.

Now you have all your thoughts collected and sorted in a cohesive order, you are ready to start writing. Elaborate your points into sentances if necessary, elaborate where you need to, and if you need to do more research, then leave some blank spaces and carry on. Once all your stickies are transcribed, you have your first rough draft.

Edit and fill in the blanks to your hearts content.

For the Love of Cats

And x 2 on AAA or for us CAA. free maps and tour books almost pay for the membership alone.

Even if I'm not planning a trip, I'll often grab stuff just to have/read, for when I might want to take a trip

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Google Map is your friend. I also have a DeLorme Gazzeteer for topographic feature.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.