Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Prepper's - Premiere tonight

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

dont worry guys...........it's all good. hopefully once we all survive the 2012 Mayan Zombie Apocalypse that was caused by the coronal mass ejection that threw the planet Nibiru into our path, we'll be able to buy all thier crap pretty cheap.....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Stg1swret View Post
    The part about the odds of an event happening seemed to be thrown in to show these people were wasting their time.
    And this is a big part of why we believe that SHTF events are not just the big, spectacular, catastrophic, EOTWAWKI type situations. When you start to look at the odds of a massive asteroid bouncing off Mars and showering the aliens with pixie dust it's hard to justify the time and expense of prepping. Further, it's hard to encourage others to prep for these massive, and consequently far less likely, events.

Asking someone what they'd do if the power went off for a week after a bad storm is far more likely to resonate with them.

At the risk of sounding sanctimonious, when you focus on making prepping for everything a true lifestyle, and prepare for events big and small, you are far more well rounded. It's easier to justify the expenditure of resources, easier to convince others to join in and (most importantly) makes you far more likely to survive a diverse array of events.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

^^^ +1000

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Since I'm on a roll, and while I wait for my expense reports to scan, some of the descriptions of those on the show also touch on balance.

Having 50,000lbs of food is great. Having 1,000lbs of food, 100 gallons of water, a good selection of medicines, some commo, and a power source is far better.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Does not fish with big brother
    Did any one happen to notice they were preping for polar shifs and possable earth quakes but the food storage areas just looked to be platforms with glass caning jars with what apeared to me, not to have any earthquake measures in place. Ie meaning secured in any way. A big shaker hits and they will have a 50,ooo lb mess on there hands.

Do you have a robot?
    Okay I have calmed down now and have been thinking about this program. Some of these people have some good information for anyone to use. I do like some of their ideas. I just see that the National Geographic tried to find the most extreme people that they could find. I will bet you that they never take into the account of an TEOTWAWKI could just be someone loosing their job, which then has them loosing their home and living out of their car. They need to understand that doomsday to one person is not the same to another. They just look at everything coming to a halt for the entire population. But then again that will not sell advertising space. I do look forward to stealing whatever ideas that I can from the program. I just hope it does not end up like a gong show (I know I'm dating myself).

Quote Originally Posted by ANEURYSM View Post
    Did any one happen to notice they were preping for polar shifs and possable earth quakes but the food storage areas just looked to be platforms with glass caning jars with what apeared to me, not to have any earthquake measures in place. Ie meaning secured in any way. A big shaker hits and they will have a 50,ooo lb mess on there hands.
    In other words.....

ETA: Good call aneurysm to spot that little "flaw" in their planning.

Do you have a robot?
    You mean they can't????? I guess I have to take my snowshoes back.........

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

there were a lot of ideas gone wrong in the show, the glass canning jars unsecured, walking to bug out vehicle and not having a secondary route, trying to go it alone in an urban area, etc. Look they are making a TV show and picked people planning for the most outrageous of events, that were willing to go on camera for their little bit of fame.
    You know what cities they are located in, and if they didn't give fake names you now know who they are. Wouldn't take much to get an address. Epic fail.
    Last edited by Stg1swret; 02-08-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Do you have a robot?
    You are right and for that reason most people would not dream of going on a show like this. I have no interesting in anyone knowing what I stock or my plans. My wife watched part of it with me and just laughed then went into the other room. Okay so close your eyes and think of the stereotypical prepper that others thinks about and you will see them on this program. It works against us all.