Thread: Stealth Cargo Trailer

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Stealth Cargo Trailer

From cheaprvliving.com and by Randy Vining

I’ve lived on the road more than 20 years, in and on a string of vehicles: motorcycle,
    car, van, pull trailer, 5th wheel, and now a specially engineered Featherlite cargo
    trailer. I’ve always had a yen to be invisible, or at least inconspicuous. I speculated
    that this would broaden my range of overnight parking. I also wanted to design and
    build my own rig. Having boondocked more than 7000 nights, I convinced myself that
    I could build a vastly more efficient camper. I’m fascinated by the challenge of
    living super-efficiently in a small space. For years I lived in a van, and found it to be
    a good compromise between comfort and stealth. I’ve successfully camped
    undetected in Key West, San Diego, and San Francisco.

Now I’m trying a new experiment. I am finding that the cargo trailer retains stealth,
    and is far more comfortable than a van. I can stand up in it, for one thing. And I
    have 80 square feet of floor space to work with. Its six windows look like vents
    when I am in stealth mode, but open fully when I am not. Two large, 18x24 inch roof
    vents provide light and ventilation, and will open in 4 directions to draw in and suck
    out air. The ladders on top give the illusion of a work trailer. But in fact, they
    conceal 4 solar panels which provide all the power I need for satellite TV, lights,
    fridge, and satellite radio. Two group 27 batteries have proven adequate. To
    conceal my satellite dish when mounted, I cover it with a black garbage bag. The
    signal comes right through it.

A toilet with good holding capacity is a critical element for comfortable living. Mine
    has a capacity of 30 gallons, and will serve for a month or more without dumping.
    Then a macerator pump empties the tank in 3 minutes via a garden hose. I use 7-
    gallon water containers from Walmart for fresh and grey water tanks. They work
    better than fixed tanks because they can be taken out and emptied or filled.

I make a simple and effective shower stall by slightly opening my rear doors. A
    container of water, a pump, and a kitchen sink sprayer complete the system. Many
    times, just a pan and a washcloth work fine.

The total cost of my rig, fully outfitted, was $7000. The trailer cost $4000 new. I
    paid the premium price to get the super lightweight, all aluminum, Featherlite
    trailer. It’s 500 pounds lighter than its steel-framed equivalent. Solar panels cost
    $1200, batteries $120, stove, sink, fridge, and catalytic heater total $600.

I’ve enjoyed the process of engineering my new home, especially the challenge of
    utilizing limited space.

My chosen range of travel is the Western states, Canada and Mexico. Often I camp
    with friends, and members of the Wandering Individuals Network. (www.rvsingles.
    org) Poetry and philosophy are my hobbies, and I’ve attempted to celebrate and
    give voice to our lifestyle in the poem, A Codger’s Affirmation, which can be found at
    Mobile Kodgers Please note that I use the word "codger" in humor
    and semi-seriousness; believing that we efficient, effective road people have much
    to teach the world, and perhaps, in time, will do for that word what Bill Gates has
    done for the word "nerd." There would be no global warming, energy crisis,
    overpopulation, or debt crisis if folks lived as simply as we. I see us as heroes as
    described by Joseph Campbell in The Hero’s Journey.

And while I rhapsodize about codgers, let me invite those who resonate with us to a
    gathering I am hosting at the Slabs, near Niland, CA, the week of November 27
    through December 3. Details are in the previously referenced blog. If you’re
    curious about my travels, check out Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008).

If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    very nice concept. Ive mused over this very same idea, just havent seen it put into action.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

that is too cool.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I may have to make some improvement in the tack room of my 2 horse slant.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I like the concept here but don't agree with the size. If your just getting out and seeing the sights that's nice. In a worst case scenario I think your a Target no matter how inconspicuous you look. I've seen this video on Y-Tube, its a cool trailer, I just feel in our planning its a no-go.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.