Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Written SHTF plan: Hurricane

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Written SHTF plan: Hurricane

In the spirit of written SHTF plans here is my first crack at a hurricane specific plan.

I've done this in my Evernote software so it is synced to my iPad, phone and computer. This allows me to update/modify easily. I will print them out for binder of plans but I like the 21st century twist for extra access.

I have to do a few other region specific plans, and update my old general plan but will share those as I complete them.

Comments/suggestions for the plan requested, especially by those who've already dealt with hurricanes.

Fill water cans, bathtubs
    Fill all gas tanks
    Get cash from ATM
    Emergency radio, flashlights staged in kitchen
    First aid kit staged in kitchen, big bag staged with overnight bags
    Any debris or outdoor furniture removed from yard
    Mops, towels, blankets, buckets staged
    Fire extinguishers moved to kitchen
    Phones charged, iPad and myfi charged
    Backpack with clothes, mess, toiletries and other needed supplies staged in case we need to leave in middle of storm
    Stage tools, tarps, sealing calks/compounds for mid-storm repairs
    Pet carriers staged
    Park Armada in ? Location so we can get to it quickly in the middle of the storm

Hang hurricane shutters when appropriate
    Assist inlaws as needed

Post storm
    Assess damage - remove dangerous items as appropriate
    Move generators into position as needed
    Coordinate with local family to assist as needed
    Begin cleanup
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Nice start for the binder, bro.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I will try to find the last hurricane procedure that I wrote for the power plants and post it. In the meantime, add a flashlight for each person (to be kept on their person 24 hrs. per day) and DO NOT plan to leave in the middle of the storm. Run early or stay put. I repeat, do NOT go out into the storm. My rule is Cat 3 or better, with a direct hit, run, but YMMV. Depends on a lot of things. Food that needs little or no cooking (or a way to cook it). If no way to cook it, start using out of the freezer before the storm approaches.
    Don't forget the important papers and documents, maybe even pictures, put them in a safe place.

Here is a link to a good basic info pdf on cyclones. Does not cover all the bases, but a good start.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/hurricane...Cyclones11.pdf

I will repost with more.
    Last edited by piranha2; 02-13-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add link

Do you have a robot?
    You know if you all would just move out here to the Left Coast you would not have to do that each year. We only have to rebuild every fifty or so years when everything comes tumbling down........

Plus you would help dilute the population of the radical left out here. I would like to see a bunch of more like minded people around here.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I just left Sac last April1. Was out there for 3 years. No offense, but I prefer hurricanes.

Do you have a robot?
    See you left so now the percent of Lefters just went up.

Queen of the Doom Room
    I wouldn't keep all the flashlights in the same area. Stage them throughout the house but be specific and consistent with their locations so everyone knows where they are. Not necessarily one in every room but definitely one in a main bathroom, maybe the floor of a main hallway and in another main room. That way if power goes out and family is scattered throughout the house they can find lighting.

Don't use candles if you don't have to. They add a lot of heat to an already hot and muggy house once the power goes out.

I bought some Solar yard lights. They don't stay outside but are a backup source of light. If you have them, put them outside so they can charge.

If you have pets, make sure they are collared. We don't keep collars on ours 24/7 but anytime a storm rolls in I collar them up with leashes handy. I also make sure I've packed food and water in their carriers.

If you have room in your freezer(s), start making your own ice and bagging it up. It will take up dead space in your freezer, keep your food colder longer and you can use it when you need it.

Turn your fridge and freezers down to their lowest settings early on to get a hard freeze on everything. I had food that was frozen solid in the bottom of my deep freeze several days after I lost power in 90°+ temps. I was able to stagger my cooking (on the grill) by using the stuff on top first as it thawed.

Turn your A/C down very low to get a good chill on the house. You'll be thankful for the extra few hours of cooler temps after the power goes down.

Get a Beach Ball. Write your name and phone number on it. During the height of the storm toss it in to the wind. Wait for someone to call you after the storm has passed to see how far the ball travelled.

And Nutter Butters. I NEVER go through a hurricane without Nutter Butters.

Oh, and every time someone on the news tells you to "Hunker Down"...you have to take a drink of your favorite adult beverage. After 30 minutes of news coverage, 20 depending on how dramatic your newscasters are , you won't much care about the howling winds and battering rains.

Justa! Great to see you around.

Yea, I didn't think about having flashlights on people/staged elsewhere. I great point about the candles. Like a dummy Yankee I would have fired one up. Also like the solar lights idea.

I don't drink but I do wonder how those of you who go through hurricanes pass the time. I'm pretty calm about most things but bad weather gets me amped up like nobody's business. I can't imagine sitting there, for 6 to 12 hours, listening to the wind and rain and just doing...well....nothing. How do you keep from every weird noise or odd creek driving you nuts? Or staring at the roof waiting for water to start dripping?

I'm thinking games for LiL Stig, cards for us, charged up ipods to drown out the noise, etc but am open to any other tips.

I won't lie, I am genuinely nervous about our first storm. I'm sure the old hands laugh at that, and I'll look back and call myself a pussy, but it does produce some anxiety.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Quote Originally Posted by piranha2 View Post
    DO NOT plan to leave in the middle of the storm.
    We'd only leave if the roof blew off or something catastrophic that made it unsafe to stay put happened. It would have to be something big.

Then we'd only just drive right next door where we have a mutual assistance pact. Its a straight shot across the yard to their front door.

I have been told by some that putting a bead of roofing tar under the first layer of shingles that overhangs the edge of the roof can *sometimes* keep the damage down. I guess the idea is it keeps them from blowing up and allowing wind underneath.

Any truth to this?