Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batteries FYI

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Rechargeables don't last as long per charge on high drain items as non-rechargeable batteries do. They are recommended for high drain items because of the fact that they end up cheaper, because you can reuse them, instead of constantly buying more. In the long run it's a better investment, however, if you might go through two sets of say, alkaline or lithium batteries, you might want 3 sets of rechargeables on hand.

I went to research the info I had posted earlier. A friend of mine had originally told me about the codes, and he is quite knowledgeable about such things. It was in a book he has, and I acquired my own copy. He was researching lantern sized batteries, and apparently most of this was related to those. All of the info I could find did not show much difference in the ratings of the smaller sized batteries.
    I also researched testing of actual batteries, which did in fact show that the Duracell batteries rather smartly beat Energizer batteries in most sizes. In AAA and AA sizes, both were almost equal, while in the C, D, and 9v sizes the Duracells were higher in actual mAH scores. However, all of this testing was at least 5yrs old. My reference book was printed 3 1/2yrs ago. With the constant evolution in battery chemistry, my info needs updating. Tests today could show the same thing, or something different. Unfortunately, I cannot find any tests done recently.
    Testing did show that bulk-packed batteries scored lower than regular packed batteries of the same brand compared against each other, which was kind of interesting.
    As batteries have changed, less info is now put on them, and more is on the package.
    Sorry for what may have been any misleading info.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

I agree with everything you said there Gunfixr.
    I thought everyone knew the bit about rechargeables, they have their place. No one battery is good for all uses.
    In my previous job we went through about 2500 AA batteries a month, a couple of hundred 'C' and 9V's. Finally started buying by the pallet to get a decent discount.
    We would use the batteries to about 20% capacity and replace them and nothing went into the field with less than 80% capacity. I ran the Radiation Protection Instrument Calibration and repair facility at a Nuclear Plant. all of the handheld instruments and alarming dosimeters were battery powered.
    You learn quickly what works and what doesn't.
    Made the mistake of giving a Tadiran 3.6V AA to someone to put in a pager once. In only worked once. I think the vibrator motor had a stroke. Smelled funny too
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Wow you guys are really interested in batteries. I'll stick with my hand crank flashlights and gensets.

The hot sexy one

Another issue................This sucks, Change of season I switch out batteries on most items and give them to kids for TV remotes and stuff....Two of my led headlamps packed away in my packs had corroded batteries (once again, the bunny smothered) , I installed these batteries in Spring, verifed they turned on the light.....Then stored in house until this weekend, destroyed one light , the other is fine...

A laugh a minute
    We never store the batteries in anything, just tape them to what ever it is that needs them. That way they don't corrde. We did buy a case of AA and had them in a junk drawer inside. after about a month I needed them for my camera and they were all rusted. I took them out sanded the rust off with fine sand paper, wiped down with olive oil, let set for a day and they were good as new.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

I have recently noticed some of the batteries are coming out with a 10 year shelflife. Dont know what they have done different but it is definely prepper friendly if it is true.

Walking on Sunshine

Greyfox
    Do you recall what brand if I may ask? Haven't seen any around here, prolly on 'net though.

The hot sexy one

All batteries gradually self-discharge (whether installed in a device or not) and dead batteries will eventually leak. Extremely high temperatures can also cause batteries to rupture and leak (such as in a car during summer).

The reason for leaks is that as batteries discharge — either through usage or gradual self-discharge — the chemistry of the cells changes and some hydrogen gas is generated. This out-gassing increases pressure in the battery. Eventually, the excess pressure either ruptures the insulating seals at the end of the battery, or the outer metal canister, or both. In addition, as the battery ages, its steel outer canister may gradually corrode or rust, which can further contribute to containment failure.

Once a leak has formed due to corrosion of the outer steel shell, potassium hydroxide absorbs carbon dioxide from the air to form a feathery crystalline structure of potassium carbonate that grows and spreads out from the battery over time, following along metal electrodes to circuit boards where it commences oxidation of copper tracks and other components, leading to permanent circuitry damage.
    So once again ......The Bunny smothers, remember I had dead bunnies from an unopened pak of batteries. This time I had installed a set of bunnies in devices which eventually leaked......