Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CPAP Machines

Claptrap's Problem Solver

CPAP Machines

Mrs Stig uses a CPAP machine (if anybody here rats me out for sharing this I will unleash the hogs of war on them).

One thought I had was that in a SHTF event that includes a power loss she isn't going to be getting restful sleep without the CPAP machine. Just as critical is that I won't be getting restful sleep due to her dull roar. It will be a hard enough time as it is without the complication of poor rest.

Anybody thought about their power draw and if a solar charged deep cycle battery set up would be enough to run a machine for a night's sleep? I can't imagine they draw like a toaster or hair dryer but stranger things have happened.

I'd hate to have an entire system designated solely for a stupid CPAP machine but if it's the difference between some sleep and zero sleep maybe it's worth it.

Thoughts?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Staff

Hey there lil brother, I had almost gotten CPAP dependant until I was given this mouthpeice device about 3 yrs ago. I hav'nt bothered Mrs Gunbuilder since then.
    (sure is nice to sleep in the same bed again,lol)
    GB69
    It's only a wuss caliber until I shoot you with it!

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Doctors were talking about making me use one ... when I stopped smoking. Since, no more apnea.

That being said, what does the label on your machine says about watt and such?

Premium Member

With the disclaimer that only when and where legal...

Distilled mother tinctures of the opium plant have been very successfully used for years to completely eliminate snoring and sleep apnea. In nearly all people who have sleep apnea, the portion of the throat that is supposedly "too large" (which collapses against the opposing wall, making breathing a struggle) is actually inflamed on a permanent basis, the tincture eliminates the swelling allowing normal breathing while sleeping, and when taken consistently in some people, it eliminates the need to continue taking the tincture.
    And no, it's not hallucinogenic, mind altering, or anything of the sort that is negative for your body. I believe it is LEGAL when taken under prescription, but I do not know of any doctors who currently prescribe this in the USA.

Interesting stuff there Idaho. Thanks for sharing it with us.

BTW: Thanks for making your first post here. Lifetime premium membership and "first 100" tag incoming.

Thanks for supporting us.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Hey Idaho, apparently you got our email. Welcome.

Premium Member

Thanks RedJohn. It spurred me into revisiting this site. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Corsair View Post
    Thanks RedJohn. It spurred me into revisiting this site. Thanks!
    And we're glad that you did.

Premium Member

I’ve been tethered to a CPAP nightly for eleven years. In that time I’ve never not used it. I have a problem with forgetting to breath when I sleep and my oxygen levels were dropping to 57% at night. My old CPAP would take either 12VDC or 120/230VAC but my new one is strictly AC unless I spring for the $99 attachment.

I’m active in Boy Scouts and love to camp out in remote places. I have a small hand truck with a deep cycle battery box on the lip and a plate across the upright frame where I have my power distribution panel. On the panel is a volt meter, 12VD cigarette lighter outlet and a 300 watt AC inverter. I can run the CPAP, a florescent bulb and a 12” 120V fan or full size electric blanket (depending on the season) for three nights without recharging.

I’ll have to get some photos to post.

I used it for 6 nights after hurricane Charlie blew through. Ran a TV, fan and CPAP but the fourth day I had to hook it to a generator and recharge it. (I did not use the genny at night.)

Since then I have built on to the house and added a 12VDC circuit to the office (radio shack) and master bedroom. I now have two larger deep cycle batters in a box mounted to the outside wall of my office. The DC power goes to my radios and a 600W inverter in my office. Another small gauge pair of wires goes to the master bedroom where I have a homemade double outlet installed with one side a cigarette lighter outlet and the other side a positive & negative DC thumb screw post. I have a 150w inverter mounted there just for the CPAP.

Currently the only charging system is either a marine charger that runs off the grid or my little 1200W two stroke generator. The generator put out both 120VAC and 12VDC 10 amps. I have a small Harbor Freight solar panel (45W I think) and I want to get a few more and link them and get of the marine charger.
    When I go camping I pull one of the deep cycle batteries from the box outside my office and put it in the cart.
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Would love to see pics of that battery cart. That's a thread all by iteself.