Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The SHTF ready recipe thread!

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Possum soup looks enticing.

Crotch Rocket

The roast possum recipe looked good to me as well. I can legally trap and/or shoot these things all year too. I'm just gonna have to prep it for cooking where nobody can see what it is, lol...
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

IM going to attempt home made wassabi peas tomorrow for the first ingredient of my home made trail mix.

I'll most likely shit myself

Alaska let me know how the peas turn out. That is one of my favorite snacks.

ok keep in mind this is the first time using the dehydrator

1 bag frozen peas. put all on 1 tray, 120 degrees= lil green thing s that taste like wassabi peas BUT still not all the way dry after 8 hours
    Took way to long. Next batch, less peas on 1 tray and temp will be 135
    Also wait to put on seasoning till towards the end

Seasoning equal parts horseradish and wassabi. sprinkle of garlic powder then thinned down with some white cooking wine.
    Flave is good. eye appeal sucks

2nd batch will go into day

Also While i was in store i saw next to the wassabi peas were some southwestern chile style which im gonna hafta try also.
    Biggest thing is getting them to not shrink so much
    I am going to look for bulk dried peas and see if i can just season them and go that route=omit the dehydrator process.
    Alot of recipes i found online said use oven but they all said they shriveled up also. its like the store bought ones and poofed up with air, they are so damn perfectly round

Any ideas:?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Not exactly a recipe but if I am going to kill and cook in the field....I usually have the normal salt/pepper/garlic/paprika in my pack. What I have found out is that you can baste honey on squirrel or rabbit to add some sweetness to cut the gamie taste down. (I can eat it without but the kids are still a little picky right now)

I have made the hardtack by just mixing the flour/salt/pepper and sticking it to a stick by the fire. Its not much on taste but filling. (shave the bark off the stick first if you want)
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 04-13-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by alaska View Post
    ok keep in mind this is the first time using the dehydrator

1 bag frozen peas. put all on 1 tray, 120 degrees= lil green thing s that taste like wassabi peas BUT still not all the way dry after 8 hours
    Took way to long. Next batch, less peas on 1 tray and temp will be 135
    Also wait to put on seasoning till towards the end

Seasoning equal parts horseradish and wassabi. sprinkle of garlic powder then thinned down with some white cooking wine.
    Flave is good. eye appeal sucks

2nd batch will go into day

Also While i was in store i saw next to the wassabi peas were some southwestern chile style which im gonna hafta try also.
    Biggest thing is getting them to not shrink so much
    I am going to look for bulk dried peas and see if i can just season them and go that route=omit the dehydrator process.
    Alot of recipes i found online said use oven but they all said they shriveled up also. its like the store bought ones and poofed up with air, they are so damn perfectly round

Any ideas:?
    I don't have any suggestions but if you figure it out please share. Based on this post I tried some wasabi peas I saw at a stop & rob.

Holy crap are those good. I'm talking take your breath away, lungs on fire, tears in eyes good.

And yes, they were nearly perfectly round with some sort of white stuff on them. Looked like a partially popped piece of popcorn.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I hate it when the really good treats have white stuff on them, but most do. And, possum is really fatty, trim it close.
    Last edited by piranha2; 04-13-2011 at 10:20 PM.

i think they are deep fried the more i stare at them

Premium Member

Flour Tortilla

2 cups flour
    1/4 cup shortening or lard (you can substitute butter) cold
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup warm water

Mix with a fork, spoon or stick, flatten and bake on top of hot rocks. In my BOB I have all the ingredients in ziplock bags or old plastic spice bottles. You can halve the recipe, or even by a fourth. If you cook at all, you will be able to eyeball the amounts needed. A really good bread, doubles as a spoon in a pinch.

Cheri