Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The SHTF ready recipe thread!

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Beer bread

Beer Bread

3 cups self rising flour*
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1 (12-ounce) can of beer (your choice of brand)
    *Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose (fresh ground wheat) flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter (not the 1/4 cup above).
    2. Combine all dry ingredients, mixing well.
    3. Add beer and mix only enough so there is nothing dry left
    4. Pour into prepared loaf pan
    5. Pour the 1/4 cup melted butter over the top of the batter
    5. Bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf.
    Darker beers are more 'flavory'. You can mix the butter into the batter for a smoother loaf. Pouring it on top gives it a crusty texture.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Hmmm... this looks good.

It really is a simple recipe and small changes in ingredients can make a big diff in taste.
    BE FOREWARNED THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE AND HAPPENED TO ME!!
    I decided to try making some banana nut bread.
    Sounds easy enough, I mushed up 2 very ripe bananas and added about 3/4 cup pecans to the above recipe. So far, so good. I poured the 'batter' into the bread pan and noted that the level was just a bit higher than previous loafs I made. No biggie, it'll be OK. I poured the 1/4 cup of butter on top and slid that bad-boy in the oven.
    Scenario development part: It is about 0200 when I am baking. I work a rotating shift schedule and it was the night before I started my night schedule. I do a dry run of sorts to acclimate myself to being up at night. Wife unit is fast asleep in the nest with our TAST (Trained Attack Shih-Tzu) by her side.
    I lay down on the couch and try to catch up on some DVR stuff from the Wrestling (Formerly known as SYFY, formerly known as Sci-Fi) channel.
    The Shark-topus vs Croco-potomus movie really sucked and I dozed off. Next thing I know The smoke detector is going off. A big WTF moment to wake up to. The house is full of smoke. The TAST is going completely nuts because the noise is deafening. I look in the kitchen and see the smoke is bellowing out of the oven. Hmmm.
    I opened the back door to let in some of the 10F Feb NY Blizzard air and turned the oven vent to tornado speed (400cfm). Needless to say the house temp went from 60ish to the 40's real quick. The furnace kicks on and spreads the smoke to the whole house. The detectors upstairs and in the basement start going off. POed Wifey appears (with high beams) and the "you dumb ass" look on her face. The extra contents in the bread pan got enough 'rise' to push the butter out of the pan and into the bottom of the oven.
    It took about 5 minutes to get the alarms to shut off. I think the TAST may need psychiatric help for PTSD.
    The bread did have a little extra smokey flavor that time. I have made it since and used a bigger pan.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Yeah, basic stuff, don't sleep while cooking

hahahhahahah. Thats funny I dont care who ya are

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTea View Post
    Beer Bread

3 cups self rising flour*
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1 (12-ounce) can of beer (your choice of brand)
    *Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose (fresh ground wheat) flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter (not the 1/4 cup above).
    2. Combine all dry ingredients, mixing well.
    3. Add beer and mix only enough so there is nothing dry left
    4. Pour into prepared loaf pan
    5. Pour the 1/4 cup melted butter over the top of the batter
    5. Bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf.
    Darker beers are more 'flavory'. You can mix the butter into the batter for a smoother loaf. Pouring it on top gives it a crusty texture.
    Ohhh! I've used this recipe before, love it! I've tried both adding the butter on top and mixing it in. Both turned out well. I want to try in with some different beers......hmmm.....or Guinness......

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Blackfoot Fry Bread ~ Double Recipe

2 cups warm water
    2 packages dry yeast
    4 Tablespoons soft butter
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    6 cups white flour

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add butter, sugar salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding a tad more water...or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough. Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place lard or oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate. Serve with butter, jam, sugar, cinnamon sugar, or what ever you like...or make ³Indian Tacos² as you would any other taco replacing tortillas with fry bread.
    Note: Frying in lard is best and make a small hole in the center of each before frying!

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Apache Bread

To make Apache Bread, you will need the following:
    1 c White cornmeal
    1 c Yellow cornmeal
    1 ts Salt
    1/2 ts Red pepper
    1/2 c Bacon drippings
    1 c Boiling water
    Green corn husks

Mix dry ingredients; add boiling water and bacon drippings. Form into small rolls and wrap in green corn husks. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 12 individual breads

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Blackfoot Fry Bread ~ Double Recipe

2 cups warm water
    2 packages dry yeast
    4 Tablespoons soft butter
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    6 cups white flour

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add butter, sugar salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding a tad more water...or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough. Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place lard or oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate. Serve with butter, jam, sugar, cinnamon sugar, or what ever you like...or make ³Indian Tacos² as you would any other taco replacing tortillas with fry bread.
    Note: Frying in lard is best and make a small hole in the center of each before frying!
    I make this once in a while to. My dad worked with some natives and they gave him their recipe for bannock (same thing) I usually cook it in lard and once finished cover it it butter and brown sugar. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Apache Bread

To make Apache Bread, you will need the following:
    1 c White cornmeal
    1 c Yellow cornmeal
    1 ts Salt
    1/2 ts Red pepper
    1/2 c Bacon drippings
    1 c Boiling water
    Green corn husks

Mix dry ingredients; add boiling water and bacon drippings. Form into small rolls and wrap in green corn husks. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 12 individual breads
    This sounds like a tamale. Is it similar?