Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The SHTF ready recipe thread!

Premium Member

The SHTF ready recipe thread!

I'm hoping there is enough interest in this that maybe it can be turned into a sticky. I thought it would be neat if there was a place we could all post our tried and true favorite recipes for all the other members to try out. What do you guys think? Mods, if you feel this is a waste of space and bandwidth, feel free to delete it....

The source of all known trouble in the universe

No, it is a very good idea. How to make something tasty with little available, game meat, etc.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    No, it is a very good idea. How to make something tasty with little available, game meat, etc.
    Exactly! Hopefully we get some members to chime in. I'd like to learn to cook a little more. I know how to do a few things but, not what I'd call SHTF recipes....

I guess to start it off I'll post my favorite spaghetti sauce recipe...

1 pound ground beef
    1 can mushrooms
    1 can diced tomatoes (Large) Strain out tomato juice.
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 can of your favorite spaghetti sauce
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 diced garlic clove

Brown beef in large sauce pan on medium low heat till browned. In separate pan, cook mushrooms and garlic in butter. (Cook to liking) Once beef is browned in other pan, strain out excess "beef juice" and place back in pan. Mix in other ingredients and cook on medium low heat until hot (I let it simmer for a good 10-15 minutes) Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Mix in spaghetti and enjoy! The brown sugar gives in a great flavor.

Bannock

Bannock is the traditional bread of Canada and the Northwest. Native people had no access to flour prior to the arrival of European traders, although some flour substitutes existed, like wild turnips or corn, dried and ground to a powder.

Bannock actually originated in Scotland. Because bannock could be quickly prepared from readily available ingredients, and because these ingredients lasted a long time without spoiling, bannock became a staple of European fur traders and subsequently, the native people also.

Bannock recipe

1 c flour

4 tsp double-acting baking powder

2 Tbs powdered skim milk

Stir ingredients together; stir in water to make dough moist. Knead dough until smooth. Place in greased cast iron skillet or Dutch oven and bake it about five to 10 minutes over the campfire or on coals until it is brown on the bottom, then flip it, and brown the other side.

A handy way to prepare for a backpacking or hiking trip is to mix all the dry ingredients in a Ziplock bag. Just add 1/2 cup water and knead in the bag. Then take out the dough, finish kneading and spread it in the pan.

(Practice baking the bannock by the campfire. Put the dough in a greased skillet, and place it near the campfire, propped at about a 60-degree angle with a stick. When the side nearest the fire browns, flip the bread and brown the other side. In a pinch you could bake it on a plank!)

Hardtack

Hardtack is one of the original trail and emergency foods. Hardtack is simple to make, transports easily and will last a reasonably long time if stored in plastic bags or containers. The disadvantage is the bland taste, and traditional toughness.

(It only takes a few additional ingredients to turbocharge the nutritional value of hardtack. To each cup of flour in the recipe, add one tablespoon of soy flour, one teaspoon of wheat germ and one teaspoon of powdered milk. There is no difference in the taste, and these ingredients combine to make the bread a complete protein.)

Hardtack Recipe

Ingredients:

4 cups flour (preferably whole wheat)
    4 teaspoons salt
    Water (about 2 cups)
    Pre-heat oven to 375° F
    Makes about 10 pieces
    Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add just enough water (less than two cups) so that the mixture will stick together, producing a dough that won’t stick to hands, rolling pin or pan. Mix the dough by hand. Roll the dough out, shaping it roughly into a rectangle. Cut into the dough into squares about 3 x 3 inches and ½ inch thick.

After cutting the squares, press a pattern of four rows of four holes into each square, using a nail or other such object. Do not punch through the dough. The appearance you want is similar to that of a modern saltine cracker. Turn each square over and do the same thing to the other side.

Place the squares on an ungreased cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn each piece over and bake for another 30 minutes. The crackers should be slightly brown on both sides.

The fresh crackers are easily broken, but as they dry, they harden.

Santa Fe Chicken Casserole

2 c pre-cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
    1-1/2 c sweet corn, dehydrated or freeze dried
    1 c salsa
    4 c chicken, diced freeze dried or canned
    1 c cheddar cheese, shredded or freeze dried
    1-1/2 c rice
    2 c water
    2 c Cream of Chicken condensed soup

In a slow cooker or Dutch oven, mix together the beans, corn, 1/2 cup salsa, rice and cream of chicken condensed soup and water. Mix all together, then pour into baking dish. Cover with remaining salsa and put lid on.

Cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, then sprinkle cheese on top. When the cheese starts to melt, serve with extra salsa and corn chips or a salad.

If you are cooking this in you oven rather than in a crock pot of dutch oven, put into a large oven proof dish with a lid and cook at 470 degrees for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

I'll most likely shit myself

RJ You are killin me. The Sante Fe cassarole sounds excellent.

I know, my mouth is watering too.

I cook to taste so i wont have exact amounts on ones I post

Mock smoked salmon dip
    2 ans pink salmon,drained bones removed
    add real mayo until its the consistency of a good dip/spread
    then add 2 cap fulls of liquid smoke
    mix well again
    couple dashes garlic powder to taste
    S&P to taste
    dip with favorite cracker, I prefer the ritz flipz

To make it bolder you can reduce some of the mayo and add a good horseradish, again to taste

Crotch Rocket

Ok, these aren't tried and true. Yet. My entire family and most friends have rebelled over the use of their kitchens for any of the following. From "The Wildlife Chef" ISBN 0-933-11202-5:

Opossum Pea Soup
    1 possum breast and meaty legs
    1/4 pound diced salt pork
    2 Medium diced onions
    1 pound split peas
    1 carrot, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon tarragon
    salt, pepper
    Soak peas overnight. Drain and cover with 2 quarts cold water. Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, until everything is tender. Serve hot with oyster crackers.
    There are 4 other possum recipes in the book. I picked this one because it includes split peas (which store well as LTS food) and would help stretch out pork consumption. Its also a game animal that few people will deign to touch, much like this next one:

Porcupine Liver
    "Porcupines have large livers that are said to be a gourmet delight. Fry 1/2 inch slices of liver in a frying pan with butter and lots of onions only minute on a side. Or, when camping, wrap bacon slices around a piece of liver and grill over the coals of a fire for a few minutes. "

There are two other porcupine recipes which utilize the flesh.

The entire book is comprised of sections on: Big game, including butchering and processing techniques. Small game, which is where I referenced the above two recipes from. Fish; Game Birds; Turtles, Frogs, and Crawdads; Sauces and Stuffing; Michigan plants like morels, popcorn, maple syrup, yogurt, wild plant beverages, wild seasoning, and jams/ jellies/ preserves; Breads and Desserts: and Camp Cooking. I can reference from any of that if anybody has any specific questions on a particular species. Let me know, and I'll post it if I've got it.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!