Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long term clothes

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I have a closet full of 5.1 britches that I've had for 4+ years now. I wear them almost everyday and still havent worn any holes in them yet. I've got a few pairs of the Woolrich Elite pants and they are doing equally as well. Like Gunnermax, I have a ton of BDU/ACU/DCU/ MARPAT (you get the idea) uniforms put away.

For footwear, I'm a big Merrill boots fan. I have a pair of their MOABs and a pair of thier Sawtooths. Love them oth. I seem to have the one freak set of Oakley boots on the planet that have lasted more thn a year. Had them for 5 years now and they are still going strong.

I'm also a BIG fan of Matterhorn boots. I've got a pair of the Matterhorn Ft. Lewis boots. Holy crap, they are tanks.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Duluth clothing is all I buy anymore, I wear the same couple pairs of their pants for months on end and they just last. Not the firehose models either. Their button down shirts are of less high quality, their T-shirts last awhile as well and have a good cut.

I figure buy quality, get quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Just remember that while military clothing is pretty tough, it'snot nearly the toughest. They have a planned logistical chain which will replace damaged clothing quickly, something we don't have.
    No kidding. Especially true of the current generation of ACUs. The older winter BDUs held up to abuse much longer.

if you have ACUs, pack a couple of sewing kits to make repairs

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I've been on a big kick of picking up old woodland style BDUs and the 3-color desert BDU's. They're great for casual wear, yard work, and general putzing around. While woodland might be "old fashioned" for a cammo pattern it seems to blend well in my part of Mississippi.

I've yet to blow a pair out doing yard work. That said, I can attest that the 3 color desert's are not chainsaw proof :/
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    ... I can attest that the 3 color desert's are not chainsaw proof :/
    Even after you add another colour? Wonder how many colours are needed to be chainsaw proof...

lol
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

i lack in this department i run through jeans like 2 pair a year or so but i do have car hart over alls for winter and 3 good winter coats kids have like 5 of everything but they grow so you know what it is as they grow they get more but botyh have hats and gloves for winter. and long johns and lots of pjs wife has so much clothes i got kicked out of the closet and dresser now all clothes in crates

I'll most likely shit myself

I used to have a lot of BDU's, mostly Woodland or tiger stripe, some Blue, Some Black. I wore these to work everyday for several years. I was doing industrial maintenance and was crawling and climbing thru equipment all the time. They took the abuse, never had a blow out at all. The place where mine wore out at was on the thigh fronts. I think mainly from rubbing against equipment for so long. I'm down to about 3 decent pair and need to start stocking more of them. They are the most comfortable and useful pants I've ever work.