Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long term clothes

GunnerMax

Long term clothes

Ok guys/gals,

We all know that if/when SHTF, we have to wear clothes, and those fancy designer jeans that fit tight, will not last 1-5 years. That T-shirt will get ripped to shreds, and those made in china cheap tennis shoes, will not last more than 1 year. I am assuming that you will be farming, patrolling, standing guard, walking everywhere, etc.

So, I am opening you guys up to my thoughts about clothes and boots. This is long term, of course, I would say, 3 years.

Ok, I have 3 sets of good AOR 2 woodland Camo, with Goretex top, with fleece and long john top and bottom. Boonie hat, 2 8 point covers, and helmet cover.
    I have 3 sets of woodland camo sets, with Goretex top and bottom, with fleece, boonie hat, 2 8 point covers, and helmet covers.
    I have 3 MARPAT tops, and 1 set of bottoms (so far). More items to come.
    For last resort, I have 4 blue camo sets of uniforms, 1 fleece, 1 Goretex top, 2 8 Point covers.
    I own 2 sets of desert boots, 2 sets of black steel toed leather boots, and 1 set of Converse tactical boots.

2 Rigger belts by Blackhawk, and lots of socks (30+) sets, 8 belts with buckles, and 9 brown T-shirts, 15 blue T-shirts, and 10 white T-shirts.

This is not my normal civilian clothes, and I plan on having all of the aforementioned items in the car if we have to Bugout, because I know how hard it is to make functional clothes.

So here is the discussion topic: What do YOU (and your family) have for long term clothes? do you own more than 1 of what you need? what about cold weather stuff (like gloves that wear out)?

I hope to see some good responses.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Heres my take on long term shtf clothing while residing in wisconsin. For me long term is 1 year. I just dont have the space and funding for anything longer so my clothes will only need to last that long. The easiest way for me to have a surplus of backup clothing is to buy new, quality items every season. This allows me to have backup pairs of hats, gloves boots, etc. I try to make most of my preps a scheduled yearly purchase. Allows easier financial planning to maintain the lifestyle without upsetting the wife

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I had a nice long post typed up.
    Site logged me out, couldn't post it.
    Logged back in, still wouldn't post it, due to "loss of a security tag", whatever that means.
    Internet is running so slow this morning I'm already about to throw the computer.

Check out Duluth Trading website.

Crotch Rocket

I've been wanting a pair of the firehose pants. Good call Gunfixr.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

He can get it up, but getting it down again might be, ah, interesting....wait...we're talking about airplanes right?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    Ok guys/gals,

We all know that if/when SHTF, we have to wear clothes, and those fancy designer jeans that fit tight, will not last 1-5 years. That T-shirt will get ripped to shreds, and those made in china cheap tennis shoes, will not last more than 1 year. I am assuming that you will be farming, patrolling, standing guard, walking everywhere, etc.

So, I am opening you guys up to my thoughts about clothes and boots. This is long term, of course, I would say, 3 years.

Ok, I have 3 sets of good AOR 2 woodland Camo, with Goretex top, with fleece and long john top and bottom. Boonie hat, 2 8 point covers, and helmet cover.
    I have 3 sets of woodland camo sets, with Goretex top and bottom, with fleece, boonie hat, 2 8 point covers, and helmet covers.
    I have 3 MARPAT tops, and 1 set of bottoms (so far). More items to come.
    For last resort, I have 4 blue camo sets of uniforms, 1 fleece, 1 Goretex top, 2 8 Point covers.
    I own 2 sets of desert boots, 2 sets of black steel toed leather boots, and 1 set of Converse tactical boots.

2 Rigger belts by Blackhawk, and lots of socks (30+) sets, 8 belts with buckles, and 9 brown T-shirts, 15 blue T-shirts, and 10 white T-shirts.

This is not my normal civilian clothes, and I plan on having all of the aforementioned items in the car if we have to Bugout, because I know how hard it is to make functional clothes.

So here is the discussion topic: What do YOU (and your family) have for long term clothes? do you own more than 1 of what you need? what about cold weather stuff (like gloves that wear out)?

I hope to see some good responses.
    I use wool in the wintertime, hemp denim in the summer. I keep socks and underclothes in bulk, and three pair of boots. I use Mason's for boots. They are about as reasonable as any, and they sell quality gear.

As to gloves, I have a set of leather ones with the liner that Uncle Sam issued years ago, and they have served me well for a long time, though they have been patched many times. I have a new set put by....

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I've been wanting a pair of the firehose pants. Good call Gunfixr.
    I have two pair of the firehose work pants, and two pair of the firehose/coolmax work pants. Very nice, extremely well made.
    I also have two of the coolmax long sleeve shirts, also very nice.

In his experience the hammer head is better

I buy high quality jeans and have plenty of shirts. Im rough on my clothing however my clothes have held up well. Im not a designer clothes buyer per say, but my jeans are from hollister and aeropostale. I like the way they fit and they have lasted a long time for me. Obviously I dont buy the pre holy ones because that is just stupid. I also shop on sale and have never spent more than 30 on a pair of jeans.

I have junk work clothes and good clothes. I rotate my stock if you would when things start getting ratty. For out side work I have carharts that I wear religiously. I buy quality and that seems to have worked for me. My carharts are 5 years old at least. My jeans are 2-3 years old.

My other plan is to take all my work clothes for the ems. IT is all high quality rip stop type pants and heavy t shirts and firefighter work shirts. All of this clothing should tie me over for quite a long time.

Just remember that while military clothing is pretty tough, it'snot nearly the toughest. They have a planned logistical chain which will replace damaged clothing quickly, something we don't have.

I'll most likely shit myself

Over the years i have worn BDU's at work, ( industrial maintenance) so they have taken a beating. I am hard on my clothes. When they get to ratty to wear in public I use them around the house. I think average would about 4-5 years lifespan. I have also used Carhartt jeans and their standard cloth pants and got 3-4 years out of the jeans and maybe 4-6 from the standard Carhartt's.

Shirts last me maybe 2 years max to wear in public, they do get moved to work around the house in a lot of cases. Shoes like pants and shirts get moved from public/work to home/work till there just not worth much of nothing, Pants get cut off into shorts, t shirts go into rags, whatever we can get out of them.

I try and pick up socks and gloves at every chance to just stock up on them.

GunnerMax
    thanks for the responses guys/gals. @gunfixr, I do know that the military Ripstop are not magical awesomeness, but I have comfort in the number of pairs that I own, with more on the way. I have not found a set to be made below standards, and I get the used MARPAT ones for less than $20 a set, the rest were issued to me. I get comfort knowing I can mesh the things that I have been issued (Armor, helmets, camelbaks, CBR kits, and pouches) with things that I buy.
    Last edited by GunnerMax; 02-20-2012 at 10:43 AM.