Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental Health

Crotch Rocket

I was much the same as the rest of you, figuring that since things looked ok and didn't hurt that I'd be alright, but, I had a serious caffeine addiction on top of that. Taking care of the damage I've caused to myself through that combination of neglect and Mountain Dew is one of my top three priorities this year. This is another of my "don't be like me" stories.

I'd highly urge anyone who's been putting it off to go get checked out. Imo, preventative medicine now is one of the best, if not "The. Best." preps you can make for dental care following a large scale shtf event

That damage I mentioned above didn't happen overnight, but it also wasn't visibly evident until just over a year ago. I've had multiple visits to the dentist since, including one emergency root canal. The constant wash of sugar from in the soda worked to erode the enamel, and personal experience suggests that by time you can see that its done so you're in for quite a bit of work, and at great expense. Better to actively work at prevention now than deal with preventable pain in the future...

I have learned a few things in researching this though. Like you can tell if you're brushing too hard by checking the lower front teeth. If the gum line appears to be receding, lighten up the pressure or try a softer bristle brush. My dentist recommended a sonicare brush, and its been one of the best investments I've ever made. Next best might be a standard electric tooth brush, imo at least. they quit working if you press down too hard. The downside is you'll need batteries or a power supply to run them.

My next observation is that the flosser picks seem to be more user friendly than traditional floss. I like them better, and as a dollar store item they're easy to stock. Some are better than others, but all have seemed better than using both hands to manipulate a loose string.

Also, check the toothpaste you're choosing to use and stock. I can't remember exactly what they do to damage your teeth, but some of the whitening brands especially will (reportedly) do more harm than good.

Ora-gel. It works. I can't recommend highly enough having it on hand. I carry some in my boo boo kit now.

I'll have more later probably, much of this was off the top of my head, and I too should be reading "Where There Is No Dentist."
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Speaking of oral emergencies, ive been suffering with an exposed nerve for the last week and a half and yes it blows. I went about 10yrs without going to the dentist and had my first cavity last year, actually had 6 of them. Got a root canal scheduled for this coming monday so hopefully that will kill the pain. After this experience ive stocked a lot of dental supplies in my med kit, mainly lots of ora-gel and dentemp.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Walking on Sunshine

Also make sure you get a good dentist. Parents took us kids to dentist that ruined my teeth. Found out as adult he lost his license. I no longer have any molars and crowns for most of front teeth. Am looking at implants and trying to save what teeth I have left.

A laugh a minute
    Just something that I had on file that I needed to print and thought I would share.

Modern popular opinion often falsely believes that dental health is solely a localized issue. But even if someone has impeccable oral hygiene, meaning that they brush and floss every day, use mouth washes, etc., tooth decay and gum disease can still be an issue. Thus, we need to take a more holistic approach to dental health and understand that it is a systemic issue as well as a localized issue.

Holistic Dental Health & How to Make Herbal Mouth Wash

file:///C:/Users/Connie/Documents/ho...HerbMentor.htm
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

When push come to shove and the only remedy is to pull a tooth don't use anything but vice grips. They work much mo beta than pliers so you might want to add a set to your dental kit. (talking form experience because I had no other choice and it's not as bad as one might think)

You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Funny Taz brought this up. I just found out that I have to have skin grafts on at least 5 teeth to the cost of at least $1,700 (and I have dental insurance!). I take care of my teeth. I brush and floss every day, go to the dentist twice a year, etc. I even had all of my old mercury fillings replaced with new composites. I thought I was all set, mouthwise, for the S hitting the fan. Last check up was perfect. Six months later and I need surgery! They think it was caused by my electric toothbrush and I might be grinding my teeth at night. Sooo...

So far I have clove oil for pain, oil of oregano in case of infection, fish meds, a year supply of paste, brushes (non-motorized), mouthwash, and floss, so many cotton balls that when I die someone will think that I had some sort of mental problem, and I have the dental kit on my Amazon wish list. It will have to wait until after I get a water filter.

Do you have a robot?
    Every six months I go in. I had my first cavity when I was 3 years old so I have a very long history with the dentist. When I was in my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth taken out just in case..... Now it is just maintenance. We stockpile toothpaste and rotate it constantly. I think I will be looking for some tooth powder along with everything else. The nice thing is the kids are old enough to use whatever we get because they do not want to have to buy it........

I second Chinook Medical

I did one run where I didn't go to the dentist for several years. Even then the teeth were OK, but it took two very painful visits to get all the plaque and stuff removed that had built up over that time. Since then I go every year for a full check and cleaning. Preventive maintenance is a good thing. Thta applies ot medical also....how many are up to date on all their shots, have had a tetanus booster, and so on??

Dental decay is the number 1most common infection! In fact, it was probably the biggest reason for a shorter life span in the 1800's. Add to that the key role teeth play in the beginning of the digestive process, and you can deduce that good dental health increases your chances for good nutrition and a better chance for survival when SHTF.

If nothing else, good looking teeth makes for a good looking smile. Maybe you will appear more approachable when finding a group to work with during a WROL scenario.
    Last edited by Rumbleman1; 06-01-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Walking on Sunshine

One suggestion, get a good water pick. I've been using one for last three months (courtesy of the dentist) You wouldn't believe what come out from under the gum line even AFTER brushing and flossing real good.