Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 55 gallon water barrels--keep from freezing?

55 gallon water barrels--keep from freezing?

I have recently acquired 2 more 55 gal. water barrels. My question is this. Is there a way to keep them from freezing. I have 4 of them in my house & no room for more. I have a barn where I could put them. I live where it gets below zero during the winter.

I have been told that they can freeze if you don't fill them full. I really don't want them to freeze, unless I have no other choice. Could they be wrapped in blankets, foam or whatever. My question to that is, would it work. Would appreciate any suggestions. I hate to only fill them during the summer. Our winters are so long. If this would help. I live in the Bear Lake valley. Long, Long winters. Thanks for your help

Bluebird

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm not sure of your temps, but something to consider would be to store the barrels in the barn and surround them several layers deep on all sides and top with bales of hay or straw. It would insulate the barrels, but I'm not sure how long it would keep them from freezing. Maybe would do enough to just get slushy?????
    I am interested in seeing what every one else has to say.

A laugh a minute
    Maybe put a insulated hot-water blanket around them. Why don't you want them to freeze? It shouldn't hurt them any. Are you needing to use the water through the winter? We have a water tank in a little shed that is insulated with 2" Styrofoam and we wrapped the tank with a hot water heater blanket. It does not freeze and we had 12degrees this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    Maybe put a insulated hot-water blanket around them. Why don't you want them to freeze? It shouldn't hurt them any. Are you needing to use the water through the winter? We have a water tank in a little shed that is insulated with 2" Styrofoam and we wrapped the tank with a hot water heater blanket. It does not freeze and we had 12degrees this winter.
    I really don't know why I don't want them to freeze. The 4 I have in the house, 2 can be used for drinking, the other 2 are for washing only. Maybe I
    am just being overly concerned needing water. We can get down to -25 here. I just need to relax & not worry about them freezing. The 55 gal barrel are not the only containers of water we have. Thank you for your comments everyone.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

How about a de icer.

Tank Deicers & Heated Bowls

GunnerMax
    What about burying them in the ground deep enough to where the ground doesnt freeze? Dont forget to properly protect them from the elements?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    What about burying them in the ground deep enough to where the ground doesnt freeze? Dont forget to properly protect them from the elements?
    Great idea, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    How about a de icer.

Tank Deicers & Heated Bowls
    I have no idea what they are, but they sound great. I will have to check into them. Thanks

Where's the epi?

I would think that your main issue is not to fill them all the way so the water has room for expansion and just put straw/hay all around them if you don't need to use them during the winter. If you need to use the water then you might want to look at a way to keep it from freezing. What exactly do you want to use it for?
    I apologize for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    I would think that your main issue is not to fill them all the way so the water has room for expansion and just put straw/hay all around them if you don't need to use them during the winter. If you need to use the water then you might want to look at a way to keep it from freezing. What exactly do you want to use it for?
    They will be for drinking. I know that if I don't fill them to the top ,they will be okay. as far as freezing. I guess my concern is if we need the water for drinking. They will have to go into the barn no matter what. I was wondering if anyone knew what to cover them with. I guess I will cover them with what I can & see what happens. I can't bury them, because we hit water 3 to 4 feet down. I will just take my chances, who knows maybe they will be okay if covered good. Thank you