Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Barrels

Rain Barrels

I keep hearing about rain barrels. I am very interested. Are there special barrels or can you use anything. Do you need to treat the water if you collect what runs off your roof. I would appreciate anything you can tell me.

Bluebird

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I keep hearing about rain barrels. I am very interested. Are there special barrels or can you use anything. Do you need to treat the water if you collect what runs off your roof. I would appreciate anything you can tell me.

Bluebird
    I bought my rain barrel at Home Depot. It was $99. and has a lid, a spigot at the bottom and I believe a cutout with an attachment for your downspout (DH never connected that though since we just let it run off of the roof into the barrel). I use mine to water my plants so I don't usually treat the water unless it gets green with algea, which has only happened l think once so I dumped a cup of bleach in it and let it sit for a couple of days before I used it. As far as drinking you would want to treat it and there are a number of ways you can do that, it's a matter of personal preference I imagine.
    I apologize for nothing...

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post

Bluebird
    There are special barrels, you can't use just anything. You can Google water barrels or as Lady said, check your local home store. Troubleshooter had a good plan in using the heavy duty bags.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

Tractor supply carries them here as well. I bought 4 at a recycling event here in town. They were selling rain barrels, composters and other things. I got mine for $40 for a 60 gallon barrel.

Where's the epi?

Bp you scored big! Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    I bought my rain barrel at Home Depot. It was $99. and has a lid, a spigot at the bottom and I believe a cutout with an attachment for your downspout (DH never connected that though since we just let it run off of the roof into the barrel). I use mine to water my plants so I don't usually treat the water unless it gets green with algea, which has only happened l think once so I dumped a cup of bleach in it and let it sit for a couple of days before I used it. As far as drinking you would want to treat it and there are a number of ways you can do that, it's a matter of personal preference I imagine.
    Thank you for the info I will check more into this.

bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    There are special barrels, you can't use just anything. You can Google water barrels or as Lady said, check your local home store. Troubleshooter had a good plan in using the heavy duty bags.
    I think googling this, is a good idea. Thank you

Bluebird

Where's the epi?

You are more than welcome....that is what we are here for

Walking on Sunshine

Also check out the home shows if your area does them. We have a fairly large one every year. Vendors from all over Mid MI come to MSU pavilion. They usually do fairly good promos on things like rain barrels, etc. can't wait till this years, going to concentrate on alternative energy sources.

A laugh a minute
    We pay $10 for the blue food barrels. Cut a hole in the bottom and put a spout in it. We hook a regular hose to it then a soaker hose that is in the garden. When we have a garden we leave it open. It is all gravity fed.