Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing seasons

For the Love of Cats

Growing seasons

Just wondering how long your guys' actual (or theoretical) growing seasons are?

Here's a link for the old standby, the farmers almanac: frost freeze freezing chart

Pretty cool, actually.

I can hope to be Frost free by May 25, and have a whopping 119 day growing season before first frost on Sept 22.

Sure puts it into perspective how important it is to hit the ground running when the time comes!

And here: 2012 Best Planting Dates for Seeds for Ste Anne, Manitoba

you can punch in your city/state, or your zipcode, and it'll tell you when is the best time to plant outdoors, start seeds indoors, etc.

I'll most likely shit myself

I swear by the almannac for planting. I use the moon phases and signs that are listed by date. Compared to years I didn't I can tell a difference.
    Down here I start planting certain things around the end of Feb/1st of March depending on the signs that year. Biggest part of our garden goes in by early-mid April. I haven't pushed the tail end of the season. But I think we can go to Mid October at least. We are planning on pushing it late this year and see how we do. We did harvest the last of our late corn in mid October.

Do you have a robot?
    Sniper the Farmer's Almanac is sweet. The problem is I am behind and have to get it in gear this weekend. Thanks so much for the post.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Cool link, looks like we'll have 192 days here.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

A laugh a minute
    my problem is I am always gone in the planting season. But in the past I swear by the farmers book and plant by the moon.

Walking on Sunshine

Growing season? What's that. Last year we had 8 weeks due to rains. Don't think we will be as lucky this year.
    BTW I'm joking. It's looking pretty good this year, now if would only get warm!!!

A laugh a minute
    it's going to get warm Kat. Our groundhog came out and saw his shadow. Who cares what the government groundhog saw, lol I only believe mine. He knows when it is planting season and was shocked to see no garden to eat this year. So he went back to the wood pile to habernate.

Walking on Sunshine

No garden??? That means 6 more weeks of winter, OH NOOO Mr Bill!!! I just wish it would hurry up already I'm so sick and tired of this 50 degrees one day then sub zero the other, crap weather that's been going on (I'm also getting stir crazy, can't cha tell). looking forward to when DH can get out and start turning over garden and planting.

I'll most likely shit myself

Katrina you sound like my in-laws, complaining about the cold weather, but won't get out of Michigan. LOL The wife grew up about 20 miles west of Lansing, she still has 2 sister in the same general area and another sister just north of Flint.

Walking on Sunshine

bacpacker.
    I LOVES the state of Michigan. It's having to pull out the summer clothes, then winter clothes, then summer, etc in one week. Makes TOO much laundry for me LOL
    Seriously how are you all down there. News today looks horrible, anything I can do or send you and anyone out that way?