Thread: Febuary 29, 2012......Tornado Night....Lessons learned

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Febuary 29, 2012......Tornado Night....Lessons learned

Well, here it is. The official AAR of the "night of the 'nadoes".

We began getting sever thunderstorm and tornado watches around 3pm CST.

I was on my home from work when Mrs. Izzy called me to let me know.

I arrived home from work about 45 minutes afer that. Mrs. Izzy had already rounded up essential gear (food, toys, and meds) for our kids.

Around 5pm our first tornado watch came in. Then power went out. Awesome.

So, with that, we headed out back to the bunker. The "bunker" as we call it is fairly austere. It's cold, wet, and damp. It is 21 feet long, 14 feet wide, and 7 feet tall inside (the idiot realtor said it was 900 sq. ft........moron. I dont care. It's big enough). It has been plagued by a water problem, which I have been waiting until summer to fix. ( I need the walls completely dry). Rainwater has a tendency to come down the stairs and overflow up and over the door frame, flooding the floor. There is a drain on the inside of the structure that drains out into the woods, but I'm fairly certain this is clooged. Need a plumber.

In the meantime, until I can get repairs made, I've improvised a bit. I put the kids on top of an old interior door that I have placed on top of concrete blocks. Not the optimal solution, but it kept them dry.

here's a few pics:

Last edited by izzyscout21; 03-01-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.