Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Bulk Beans and more.

A laugh a minute
    who the hell hates BAKE BEANS? Never heard of such a thang. Some beans are plain nasty by theirself but in a soup or as a base they are good.ever make bean chips? Mash pinto or navy beans, add enough flour that you can have a dough ball. Flatten it in a cookie sheet and bake.use pizza cutter to cut chips. Baking tlme varies as to thickness of beans. Bake at 350

For the Love of Cats

^ yep baked beans.

If you don't like them, add more bacon

Walking on Sunshine

Heck you can grind'em down and make bread outta them.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Hay does anyone vacuum seal their beans with O2 absorbers? I like the idea of having smaller amounts than a five gallon bucket.
    Yup.
    When I first started out I did it that way.

Then I decided I would just throw a bunch of 1# packages in a 5gal bucket lined with a mylar bag. When the bucket got close to full, I would throw a few O2 absorbers in the bag and heat seal it shut, then put the lid on a few days later, after the mylar bag had sucked itself down. Oh yea, I poked a small hole in each of the 1# bags before putting in the bucket.

Then I started buying in bulk (50# bags). Just dump them into the mylar lined 5 gal bucket, throw in enough O2 absorbers, seal the bag and wait a couple of days before putting the lid on.

I also bought #10 cans from the LDS site and the Local LDS warehouse.

Another thing Wifey and I find to be a good idea is canned beans. We generally buy the Goya brand at WM or where ever is cheapest. Always less than a buck a can. Can has about 1 lb of precooked ready to eat beans. We try to eat an average of 5 cans of beans a week. Probably have 5 cases or so that we rotate thru. Best-by dates are usually about 4 to 5 years. canned beans are much easier that soaking over night cooking for ever etc. We do have dried beans a couple of times a month so we dont forget how to do it.
    Last edited by AlphaTea; 03-05-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added canned beans
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Really? I didn't know that! I guess I should go and buy a grinder. Do you use the bean "flour" like regular wheat flour or do you have to alter the amount for a loaf of bread?

Walking on Sunshine

I'm not sure on the amounts, I think they substitute a portion of the wheat flour. I'll have to look it up but if you look on "food storage made easy"by Jody and???? , can't remember the other lady's name but they talk about grinding beans for flour. Although, I think they use it to thicken things like stew or chili. Like I said will have to look it up.

For the Love of Cats

I'm interested in this as well. so,it would be more like a bullion then? If that is the case, it would be a REALLY nice addition to the Pantry.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I try to buy beans and rice every time I go to the store. Usually Kroger or GFS....kidney, pinto, navy, great northean all average $1.09-$129.00 a lb. Rice is real close to the same. That's in Hamilton, Ohio. For the record, Kroger runs thier pasta 10 for $10.00 quit a bit lately.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Where's the epi?

The only beans we eat are green and I'll eat baked. That's it. Dh and I don't like any other kind so we don't store any other kind. Never stock up on something you don't like because you won't eat it. We store rice since ya can add every kind of meat to it and season it any way you want to plus you can add gravy to totally change it all over again.
    I apologize for nothing...

Walking on Sunshine

Okay I found the site that talks about bean flour. It's by two ladies Jodi and Julie Food Storage Made Easy
    They were talking about a book by Rita Bingham "Country Beans". In the recipe book Ms Bingham has a section on grinding beans for flour and making bread with it.
    By the way Amazon is out of it right now.