Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Generator

Any recommendations for a smaller, portable and quiet generator?

I have a couple in mind, one of the Honda ones comes to mind. I'm looking for a smaller one to compliment that big-ass unit we already have. While it won't be able to power as much, the wife unit will actually be able to use it, move it around, etc. The big beast is a no-go in that department.

Any suggestions or real world experiences would be appreciated.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

The honda ones are very nice.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

You were doing good until you said "quiet" -- the Honda is known for its quiet running. I have a Champion, its not to loud but its not quiet either.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

yamaha's are almost as quiet as hondas, and are as reliable (IMO)

define small? 1000? 2000?

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

i'll be keeping an eye on this thread. A generator is on my short list.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

We bought a Honda Eu2000 for our EmComm group back probably 4 years ago. It worked flawlessly and still does to this day. We didn't use it continuisly, but would use it half a dozen or so times a year and typically 8-14 hours at a strech. The equipment we were running didn't tax the load (we could have probably gotten by with a Eu 1000, but wanted to spare capacity.
    One event we worked was a all day bike ride in the mountians and middle of nowhere. We would run the unit between 11-14 hours. The unit will hold just over a gallon of gas and we never had to do a refill during the event. A couple times we were down to running on fumes.
    IIRC it weights just over 40lbs and has a ECON mode which if you are running a small to mid size load you can use this and it will run the idle down to save fuel. Engine speed will match the draw of current on the unit. They are also a very quiet generator.
    We are planning on getting one of these for ourselves. I have ran my camper off of it and it will run the full load with the exception of the AC. I have no qualms about recommending this to anyone.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Thanks backpacker....that actually the unit I'm looking at.

EU2000i

(EU2000IKN, EU2000IKC, EU2000iAN, EU2000iAC )
    Features

2000 watts, 120V
    Ideal for TV/DVD, satellite, fridge, coffee pot, and more
    Super quiet
    Easy to carry - less than 47 lbs!!
    Fuel efficient - up to 9.6 hrs on 1 gal of gas
    Inverter - stable power for computers and more

MSRP
    $1149.95*

Engine Honda GX100
    Displacement 98.5cc
    AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
    Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex
    DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
    Starting System Recoil
    Fuel Tank Capacity 1.1 gal
    Run Time per Tankful 4hrs. @ rated load, 9.6 hrs. @ 1/4 load
    Dimensions (L x W x H) 20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7"
    Noise Level 59 dB(A) @ rated load 53dB(A) @ 1/4 load
    Dry Weight 46.3 lbs.
    Residential Warranty 3 Years
    Commercial Warranty 3 Years
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Here is where we got ours from. I don't see a price listed and I'm thinking we sent off for a quote. You can also find them at any Camping world and Gander Mountian. The best I recall we paid either $899 or $999. Pretty sure it was $899. At the time Mayberry's was $100 cheaper for the exact unit.

Also those units can be mated in paralell with a similar unit set for mating. They have different model #'s IThey also have a built-in inverter and give a pretty good 12v output. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mayberrys.com - Honda Inverter Generator Model EU2000iKN

Do you have a robot?
    Honda makes a 3K watt generator that is almost as small. The nice thing is if you are going to need a larger one in the future you can link two together and have a 6K watt generator. They are small and portable. I would look at them just for the expansion potential.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

the price tag on generators makes my wallet cry out in agony
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.