Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armor

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day

Armor

Just a thought here on Armors.

SUre, we would all like to have the latest and greatest armor out there incase we get into a fight. But lets face it....we probably dont have said armor. We could go out and buy some level3 stuff with plates, but these can be very expensive and stick out quite a bit..very noticeable while your out at the bar or grabbing a burger. So what are some alternatives?

Jean jackets, especially if they are lined for colder climates can help to slow down a knife, club and smaller caliber rounds. They can also keep road rash off you and help keep you warm.

My personal is my leather jacket. cost me 350$. Its a victory motorcycle jacket with shoulder cups and elbow guards (which i took out). Over my jacket is my leather patch vest i wear also. Between the 2 i am fairly well protected against knifes strikes, punches, clubs, small calibers and road rash. But please note that my setup weigh about 10 pounds!! But then again i am a big guy and used to wearing it. This setup also keeps me warm and dry and does not stick out like "Armor" does.

So what are some of the ways you have found to protect yourself without sticking out?

GunnerMax
    My way of protecting myself without sticking out (well actually sticking out) is carrying a Glock 19 on my hip, and a .357 Mag Ruger in my pocket.

I otherwise, on topic, do not have any defense on me. The armor I have is issued gear, so I cannot justify buying my own.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I have plates in my pc. If I choose to use armor everyday I have soft armor.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

He can get it up, but getting it down again might be, ah, interesting....wait...we're talking about airplanes right?
    I have a plate in my laptop case. They may trash the laptop, but they won't trash the operator....

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I have a Level IIIa soft vest that will hide under a jacket, but it is a carrier, and I have a set of Level III ceramic plates to go in it if I don't mind "standing out".
    I got it all in a good trade deal, so didn't have to shell out big bucks for it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have it.
    If you want armor on the cheap, bulletproofme.com has old kevlar panels cut from older used vests they sell cheap for folks to shoot at. While considered unsafe to personal armor, they mostly still stop handgun rounds. You could build yourself a lightweight handgun stopping vest for maybe $100-$150. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it beats nothing. These panels could also be attached to other things, like the inside of your GHB maybe, to give a little backside protection, or the back of the car seats or inside the doors.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    I have a plate in my laptop case. They may trash the laptop, but they won't trash the operator....
    I totally forgot about armored bags a person can hold in front of them for protection. Great idea here too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I have a Level IIIa soft vest that will hide under a jacket, but it is a carrier, and I have a set of Level III ceramic plates to go in it if I don't mind "standing out".
    I got it all in a good trade deal, so didn't have to shell out big bucks for it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have it.
    If you want armor on the cheap, bulletproofme.com has old kevlar panels cut from older used vests they sell cheap for folks to shoot at. While considered unsafe to personal armor, they mostly still stop handgun rounds. You could build yourself a lightweight handgun stopping vest for maybe $100-$150. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it beats nothing. These panels could also be attached to other things, like the inside of your GHB maybe, to give a little backside protection, or the back of the car seats or inside the doors.

I was wondering if there was a posibility of doing something like this. I fi i am correct kevlar can be sown pretty easily?

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I don't know how easy it is to sew, but it is a cloth, so it's doable.

Do you have a robot?
    It may be easy to sew but is hard to cut. If you do pick up a used vest make sure it is not made of Twaron material. It breaks down with heat over time and renders them useless. Second Chance has been sued due to the problems.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

If you want kev panels to use in a pack/bag or even in a vest....just pick up the shoulder tabs and use them. They are not huge but could be placed to provide good protection with minimal sewing involved. I see them all the time when I make a gear run and picked up a few to use in the manner I mentioned and they are small enough to use for kid protection.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.