Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guerrilla Garden Contest!

Staff

Guerrilla Garden Contest!

Hey there Alpha's and Beta's. I am hosting a contest for for members to select,plant,cultivate and document a 'Guerrilla Garden'. This is going to last 4 months for a good germinate/harvest opportunity. Pics are a must,and there MUST be at least 20 members involved for the contest to have a winner,runner up and best all around.

The first prize will be a BOB with some goodies(water filter,fire starting implements,lighting,bladed device,multitool,etc)
    The second runner up gets Hydration device. The best all around will be getting either a belt or flashlight(I havn't decided yet)

So get out there and get your like minded friends and group members involved in this,get them signed up and start with those pics. This is what we being prepared is all about.
    Any questions,I/M my big ass!!
    It's only a wuss caliber until I shoot you with it!

I'll most likely shit myself

Very good GB. I love to garden, so I look at this as an opportunity to learn something different this year. i still gotta figure out how to post photo's on here. gotta figure out what to grow.
    Any minimum required # of veggie's, plants, etc?
    Last edited by bacpacker; 04-09-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Very good GB. I love to garden, so I look at this as an opportunity to learn something different this year. i still gotta figure out how to post photo's on here. gotta figure out what to grow.
    Any minimum required # of veggie's, plants, etc?
    You will be judged by your peers(fellow members). As you will also judge others,so if it looks like an asshatted soup sandwhich,well,you'll be judged as so...
    everyone needs to look at this as an opportunity to put theory to practice,I'm just motivating the masses to do what we really should be doing on our spare time to begin with.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbuilder69 View Post
    You will be judged by your peers(fellow members). As you will also judge others,so if it looks like an asshatted soup sandwhich,well,you'll be judged as so...
    everyone needs to look at this as an opportunity to put theory to practice,I'm just motivating the masses to do what we really should be doing on our spare time to begin with.
    backyard garden work with the rules? your going ot have me putting in more than i wanted if true!

Staff

You may want to research the meaning of 'guerrilla garden' first

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by gunbuilder69 View Post
    You may want to research the meaning of 'guerrilla garden' first
    The Guerrilla Gardening Homepage

Well that is not what I thought guerilla gardening was at all. My impression was that it was crops grown out in fields or in a wooded area. Sort of a hidden garden if you will. Something that would provide some food similar to wild edibles. Also that it would be from hierloom seeds so that you could plant , say at a BOL, years in advance and could count on a base foode crop.
    I have totally misunderstood. I had already started planning what I was planting where.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    My impression was that it was crops grown out in fields or in a wooded area. Sort of a hidden garden if you will.
    I'd say that you are right too. The link I gave is British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_gardening

Guerrilla gardening is gardening on another person's land without permission. It encompasses a very diverse range of people and motivations, from the enthusiastic gardener who spills over their legal boundaries to the highly political gardener who seeks to provoke change through direct action. It has implications for land rights, land reform. The land that is guerrilla gardened is usually abandoned or neglected by its legal owner and the guerrilla gardeners take it over ("squat") to grow plants. Guerrilla gardeners believe in re-considering land ownership in order to reclaim land from perceived neglect or misuse and assign a new purpose to it.

Staff

A quick summary of of the practice:

Planting one or more self sustaining vegatable/fruit patches that are inconspicously placed in areas a lay-person/s would not expect to find such a resource.
    i.e. In a small wooded copice,in a clearing near a brook or stream,deep in a forested area with a multitude of canopy openings.

Sorry if there was any confusion.
    Game on...

GB that is much more along the lines of what I was thinking. Obviously there are more than one way to skin that cat.

This should be very interesting, but I think I've got a great place to try it at this year. Learn some lessons and I will expand to other area next year.