Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights or Blackout Curtains? Look Abandoned or Currently Living Inside?

Lights or Blackout Curtains? Look Abandoned or Currently Living Inside?

I stumbled upon this video: 10 Survival Tips that will Get you Killed - YouTube and was surprised to hear some of the advice this man had to offer concerning various survival topics. But what interested me the most was his opinion about whether to let your home show signs of being currently lived in (lights on) or having it looked abandoned and already looted to avoid bad guys.

I've read advice saying to keep the lights at a minimum and to put up blackout curtains so nobody will know you're home. I really couldn't quite come to terms with this for the very reasons stated in the video. If your home looks abandoned or empty, then that would appear to be an open invitation to whoever is out there that there is a house they can take shelter in and maybe find some food, so naturally they will head for it. But if they see lights, they will know somebody lives there that might shoot them if they try to break in.

What are the opinions of you guys about that?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I don't plan on spending all my time hidden inside, there will be outside work to do. If you look at it both ways....empty invites squatters and occupied invites thieving. Seems to me leaving yours windows however matters little. You should be ready to protect your home either way.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

It would matter more depending on location. If in a city/urban area the abandon look will serve you better, out in the country side/rural area a little lighting won't hurt. I would however still want to practice light discipline at night.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    That one goes either way. Yes, looking empty can invite scroungers, but looking occupied also says "somebody lives here", which can mean there's supplies for the folks living there, something to take.
    While blackout curtains won't let anybody see in, they won't let you see out, either.

Walking on Sunshine

I have often wondered about that as well. Is it better to board up windows or make it look looted and squatters are already in it?

GunnerMax
    well it depends on your demographic. Figgure living in a large suburb with many neighborhood houses that look the same. chances are you wont get attacked, persay. But if you live on a 100 acre farm with solar panels, etc, I hope you have a viable defense, as making the property look abandoned will surely invite unwanted guests.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    I had always planned on making the house look looted & burnt when I lived in California. The plan was to toss a crapload of trash, clothes, furniture, ect ect, then scorch the window & door frames and make it look like the house had been burnt on the inside. Then I would either put up some blackout curtains to block out any light, and I think it would do the trick. Granted, theres always going to be that one looter whos willing to check it out, therefore plywood covering the windows and doors could do the trick as well. food for thought I guess.

Has been known to provide fake cat info
    Here in Phoenix I would make it look looted, abandoned, and not worth messing with.

Throw my plasma TV on the front lawn and smash with a brick, along with randon crap that I didn't need.

Make my presence known only as needed if anyone got too curious in spite of my machinations.

Walking on Sunshine

My problem is we are the first house going into subdivision on a well traveled road. What I am hoping as it IS the first house and I make it look looted and squatters are there, we'll be left alone.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    My problem is we are the first house going into subdivision on a well traveled road. What I am hoping as it IS the first house and I make it look looted and squatters are there, we'll be left alone.
    We are in same boat.

Depends on scenario. If it's temporary trying to go low-pro is probably the best route.

If it's a total meltdown I don't think you'll be able to predict what people will do and make a blanket statement that if I do X the badguys will do Y. Overall, however, I'd vote for low-profile again. If that means making your house look ravaged to avoid being the only decent looking house on the street....go for it.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout