Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Jerry Cans

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    STig,

there were 3 or 4 surplus stores down near Camp Shelby / Hattiesburg last time I was in the area.

I'd say you could probably find some there and save yourself some shipping. I think the 40 minute drive would be less costly than the shipping, and you may be able to haggle the surplus guys down a bit.
    Dang, how about a group buy on these if thats the case? See about getting 20-30 of them!

Is plastic better than metal for long term storage? I am interested in buying some, but I don't know the difference. I saw 10 gallon plastic containers at Farm and Fleet for $34 each. I was tempted to buy one, but they were so heavy. I don't think I could move one filled with gas.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Hey guys, FYI, I was at CTD guns in McKinney TX the other day, and they have "Mini" Steel NATO gas cans that hold 1 gallon each for 10 bucks. They're OD, and I'm thinking of getting a few for the simple reason that they're compact and take up very little space, and I don't feel super safe storing gasoline in large quantity in an apartment storage room. (of course if my apartment is on fire, the neighborhood will have to be evacuated because of ammo cooking off anyway lol) NOT on the website currently, I just saw them in the retail store the other day, but they'll do phone orders from their catalog desk if you need it. They were 10 Bucks.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Hey guys, FYI, I was at CTD guns in McKinney TX the other day, and they have "Mini" Steel NATO gas cans that hold 1 gallon each for 10 bucks. They're OD, and I'm thinking of getting a few for the simple reason that they're compact and take up very little space, and I don't feel super safe storing gasoline in large quantity in an apartment storage room. (of course if my apartment is on fire, the neighborhood will have to be evacuated because of ammo cooking off anyway lol) NOT on the website currently, I just saw them in the retail store the other day, but they'll do phone orders from their catalog desk if you need it. They were 10 Bucks.
    Damn, why cant there be a CTD store near me? I would pick up a few of there, but once again, shipping kills it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
    Is plastic better than metal for long term storage? I am interested in buying some, but I don't know the difference. I saw 10 gallon plastic containers at Farm and Fleet for $34 each. I was tempted to buy one, but they were so heavy. I don't think I could move one filled with gas.
    If not exposed to sunlight, then yes. Those metal ones can rust after a few years. The 5 gallon ones are the best ones to get IMHO, and Im sure you could handle them!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Hit up one of the Army-Navy Stores by Camp Shelby and found this...

It's a 1971 Bunderswehr version of a water jerry can. Not sure how strong that handle is, or if it's a great at water storage, but for $12 I figured it was worth a chance.

Sadly, none of the ultra cool US plastic jerry cans.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

^^ I like that. Just like their cars and guns, leave it to the Germans to come up with a freaking water/ gas can that I like.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

I bet it as good as any others of that type. From my expereince with german gear, tools, etc they don't make very much junk.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Good news: I filled it with water and she doesn't leak

Bad news: I rubbed a paper towel on the inside and came out with smears of black greasy gunk of an unknown nature. :/ Gonna have to figure out how to clean this up otherwise it will be relegated to non-potable water storage. That isn't all bad but obviously not what I had intended.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Seriously....how many Septors or MFCs are you looking for.....and what is general location?
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.