Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Scale SHTF Events

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Small Scale SHTF Events

What sort of small scale SHTF events do you think people overlook?

For example, I'm amazed at the number of people who don't have a fire extinguisher in their homes. We have three and even with that I don't feel its enough.

I know people who keep zero road side emergency kits in their vehicles.

Hell, I know people with washing machines on the second floor and no ability to get water out of the room should the thing burst.

So.....what sort of other minor disasters do people not think about, let alone prepare for?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Crotch Rocket

The roadside emergency kit having a fire extinguisher. Not being facetious at all, I just thought of it because I need to replace mine. I haven't personally had a car burst in flames, but I've seen how fast they can go up. I kept a small one in the cab with me until the plunger on it broke. Now I'm thinking a small one up front and a larger one in the rear.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

A back up sump pump for the basement. With the amounts of rain we've been getting it would only be a short time for water to collect if it went out.

Having a flashlight handy (I know we all have them but is it close?) the power goes out and it gets a little darker than usual.

If you have animals....they will get out and it will be in the middle of the night. Maybe have some gear ready, lead rope, grain bucket, lights. (you really don't have to ask why this one popped in my head--lol)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    If you have animals....they will get out and it will be in the middle of the night. Maybe have some gear ready, lead rope, grain bucket, lights. (you really don't have to ask why this one popped in my head--lol)
    Rawhide starring Lunchbox as Rowdy Yates, ROFLMAO.

Seriously though, water for drinking and washing when the water main breaks. Bandaids in your wallet for when you cut yourself.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I made that animal comment due to the first time (a week ago) I let the calves out one got spooked and went through/over the fence. Of course then the wifes hunter-jumper (the witch) went after him and a few laps later he's back through/over the fence. He let out this cute little moo that sounded like one of Grumpy's "WTF!!"
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Our municipal water was unfit for drinking twice. It was nearly impossible to buy bottled water after just a few hours, both times. You would think people would have thought to put some back after the first time.

I have also noticed a lot of people do not keep spare tires in their trunk anymore, and forget about tools. It is much easier to just call a tow truck, except when you have to wait hours for a tow because you are stuck during a storm and there are no diapers or snacks in the car.

Has been known to provide fake cat info
    Gasoline shortage. The single supply line into Phoenix broke a few years ago, so it all had to be trucked in. It was a real bear finding stations that had any, and lines were long. I saw guns drawn to cut in front on one occasion.

Now I keep some gas handy, and try to keep tanks topped off.

Water is a huge one here. I figure that it's prudent to keep some water on hand since I live in a fiery death trap.

I have noticed that in my area people forget to keep basic items for quick home repair. We get a lot of thunderstorms. The kind that only last 15 minutes, but come with 60mph winds and hail. It is amazing the number of people who have to rush to the store for a tarp or plywood. Many in my neighborhood don't even have ladders.

For the Love of Cats

The most common, and most unprepared for event around here is blizzards. They close roads, knock out hydro and telephone, etc. and for every major blizard you hear about people freezing to death in their homes, or are rescued on the verge of hypothermia and or dehydration. The day after it is sorted out, people flock to hardware stores for shovels, candles, stoves, and generators.

Then come spring, all these items are on kijiji.

The sheeple never learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    The most common, and most unprepared for event around here is blizzards. They close roads, knock out hydro and telephone, etc. and for every major blizard you hear about people freezing to death in their homes, or are rescued on the verge of hypothermia and or dehydration. The day after it is sorted out, people flock to hardware stores for shovels, candles, stoves, and generators.

Then come spring, all these items are on kijiji.

The sheeple never learn!
    Around here we get a real snow every few years. Then we all stand outside looking at our blocked driveways and walks in bafflement. Then we look at each other, silently asking "what now"?