Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The case against Quick Clot

Gauze is packable too, so you can stuff it into a wound and go. As far as the "case" against QC...I've never given two red bananas for whether I made a nurse have to debride a wound that had to be cleaned out anyway, since quikclot use always meant a life, limb, or eyeball was being saved. Same reason I'll put duct tape on a wound over the bandage if it's the best thing to do at the time.

Sounds like the article was targeted at folks who blew rule one. If you have a piece of gear in your kit, you better know how to use it right.

ETA: Chitosan. Kinda new to me, newish to the market, and I haven't trained on it yet, but it appears that it does the same or better than QC or QC gauze, and does not need to be scraped out of the wound afterwards. I'm looking to get soem training with it, but the idea of getting straight spun chitosan gauze in a z-folded package is awesome, since it doesn't rely on normal clotting factors to get the job done.

Just another product to consider.
    Last edited by Doc Torr; 06-20-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Torr View Post
    Gauze is packable too, so you can stuff it into a wound and go. As far as the "case" against QC...I've never given two red bananas for whether I made a nurse have to debride a wound that had to be cleaned out anyway, since quikclot use always meant a life, limb, or eyeball was being saved. Same reason I'll put duct tape on a wound over the bandage if it's the best thing to do at the time.

Sounds like the article was targeted at folks who blew rule one. If you have a piece of gear in your kit, you better know how to use it right.

ETA: Chitosan. Kinda new to me, newish to the market, and I haven't trained on it yet, but it appears that it does the same or better than QC or QC gauze, and does not need to be scraped out of the wound afterwards. I'm looking to get soem training with it, but the idea of getting straight spun chitosan gauze in a z-folded package is awesome, since it doesn't rely on normal clotting factors to get the job done.

Just another product to consider.
    Since it is based off of shellfish, it may not be the best solution if anyone in your immediate family, or those you prepare to use it on have allergies to shellfish. Not sure its a guaranteed issue, but something to consider for sure... Arterial bleeding may be the least of your concerns if your PT goes anaphylactic on you...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Since it is based off of shellfish, it may not be the best solution if anyone in your immediate family, or those you prepare to use it on have allergies to shellfish. Not sure its a guaranteed issue, but something to consider for sure... Arterial bleeding may be the least of your concerns if your PT goes anaphylactic on you...
    Could be right. I was made to understand that it was not shellfish based, but I am still doing research. Thanfully I don't have any shellfish allergies, but I'm still going to do my research.

EDIT: I was wrong. It is shellfish based, however...
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.biostatllc.com/celoxRapid.html
    Safety
    Celox Rapid is made with chitosan, a compound derived from shrimp shells. Allergy studies have shown no adverse reaction to chitosan, even in subjects with a suspected shellfish allergy. Chitosan is not a procoagulant, so Celox products do not set off a blood clotting response which would lead to clots being formed at a distance to the product. Chitosan is a natural polysaccharide and residuals are broken down to basic sugars (glucosamine and n-acetyl glucosamine) by lysozyme5. Celox granules have been subject to an independent assessment by an external safety expert and concluded to present no risk when used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
    HemCon studies said the same thing.

Shrimp shells...mindblowing. I'd love to see a version made from puffball mushrooms (same protein complex, and they can be used as a field bandage too) just in case. Either way, I'm gonna keep looking fir independent studies and whatnot, but it seems shellfish-allergy safe.
    Last edited by Doc Torr; 06-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.