Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Prepping and Paranoia go Hand In Hand?

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

I definitely agree with troubleshooter. I would also agree that most prudent people don't prep or live a prepared lifestyle out of fear, I would think its more out of concern. The same type of people that like to question and understand what a lot of sheople mindlessly go along with. Then in that crowd you'll have the occasional ball of tin-foil.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I would just like to survive. It does not consume my every thought, my family does. I guess, I would like for them to survive.

Premium Member

well to be honest... IMO opsec is okay if you want to hideaway with your dog and cans of beans. I would rather throw opsec out the window abit and have some human interaction.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

So far, 13 posts and you could agree and disagree with most of them. (IMO)--you can be paranoid for to many reasons and none of them mean you are a prepper. Prepping to me does not mean t.e.o.t.w. or e.o.w. Its just being ready for something un-expected to happen that puts a strain on your household. (of course the word strain could be a power outage or hyper-inflation) I beleive people look at prepping and paranoia as the same.....
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Prepping to me does not mean t.e.o.t.w. or e.o.w. Its just being ready for something un-expected to happen that puts a strain on your household. (of course the word strain could be a power outage or hyper-inflation)
    I am glad that we have a good group of people here.

I'll most likely shit myself

+1000

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Prepping to me does not mean t.e.o.t.w. or e.o.w. Its just being ready for something un-expected to happen that puts a strain on your household.
    Couldn't agree more and well said.

I don't agree with the idea that if you prepare for an end-of-the-world scenario you'll be covered for something less mundane. I think it's the other way round....get yourself prepared for as many small events that are realistic to happen in your area, and over time those preps will start to overlap & bleed together. Then if a horrific situation occurs you've got a broader and more comprehensive array of preps at hand. Otherwise, you end up with preps centered around some romantic MadMax meets Red Dawn fantasy rendering it more likely to be impractical and unworkable for reality.

Further, if you are worried about a chemical spill you're far less likely to be consumed with paranoia about FEMA sending the UN to confiscate all your Batman comic books.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I don't agree with the idea that if you prepare for an end-of-the-world scenario you'll be covered for something less mundane. I think it's the other way round....get yourself prepared for as many small events that are realistic to happen in your area, and over time those preps will start to overlap & bleed together. Then if a horrific situation occurs you've got a broader and more comprehensive array of preps at hand. Otherwise, you end up with preps centered around some romantic MadMax meets Red Dawn fantasy rendering it more likely to be impractical and unworkable for reality.
    Sums up my sentiments on the matter perfectly. If you look after all the small things, the big things will look after themselves.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Every time I read a thread on this site I am reminded of how lucky I am to have found this place.
    Not a lot of posers, mall ninjas, ex-cia-atf-special-forces-green-beret-black-ops-SEALS, or plane old whack jobs.
    Just people like me.
    Wifey used to think I was a little OCD about squirreling things away. Since 11/3/08 she has been very supportive...
    She has even had some very helpful input and is very OPSEC minded and has lately been after me to build a safe-room/hidden room in the house.
    Are we paranoid?
    Nah.
    Just a hell of a lot better prepared that most.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

And just because someone's paranoid doesn't necessarily mean their wrong;p