Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Prepping and Paranoia go Hand In Hand?

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Couldn't agree more and well said.

I don't agree with the idea that if you prepare for an end-of-the-world scenario you'll be covered for something less mundane. I think it's the other way round....get yourself prepared for as many small events that are realistic to happen in your area, and over time those preps will start to overlap & bleed together. Then if a horrific situation occurs you've got a broader and more comprehensive array of preps at hand. Otherwise, you end up with preps centered around some romantic MadMax meets Red Dawn fantasy rendering it more likely to be impractical and unworkable for reality.

Further, if you are worried about a chemical spill you're far less likely to be consumed with paranoia about FEMA sending the UN to confiscate all your Batman comic books.
    Damn it! Not my Batman comic books! LOL. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you; sometimes it's just plain good thinking.
    Over the years I've experienced a number of The-End-Of-The-World-As-I-Know-It; the birth of children, the loss of a job, a divorce,moving to another state and the deaths of my parents. Was I prepared for these? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Is it paranoid to stockpile food in these uncertain times when any of us might lose our jobs? Some would say yes, some would say no; it all depends on your frame of reference as we say in physics. Is it paranoia when you see freedoms being taken away in the name of Government Sponsored Security for the parasites of society?

Being prepared is what the Boy Scouts and my church upbringing taught me. It is being a responsible steward over what the Good Lord has blessed me with. It is taking care of my family and my responsibilities. In short, it is only paranoia if you look to Big Brother to take care of you!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I'll most likely shit myself

Well said Grumpy! You have a good frame of reference as well. Boy Scouts offer the opportunity to learn many things that will help you prepare for the life yet to come for young boys.
    The good Lord has given each person certain gifts and abilities and it is up to each of us to develop and protect each of them, whether it's a spouse, kids, grandkids, job's, whatever it may be. It sure isn't up to the .gov to take care of any of that.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Well Grumpy, this was TEOTWAYKI not TEOTWAWKI. I did not feel any of these events myself.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Don't fret RJ. If you live long enough you'll get to rack up some. After all, how do think I became grumpy? The old part is I haven't managed to kill myself yet.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Don't fret RJ. If you live long enough you'll get to rack up some. After all, how do think I became grumpy? The old part is I haven't managed to kill myself yet.
    I have lived a long time already (52 in 21 days) to rack up a lot myself. I am grumpy too but don't want to admit to it. With my life, I am glad there are no wives and no kids (that I know of, of course) as they would not be very happy with me.

Of course I get to spend ALL my money on me and my guns

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    I have lived a long time already (52 in 21 days)
    Wow! You ARE old! :P

Quote Originally Posted by beginner View Post
    Wow! You ARE old! :P
    Yeah but with my lifestyle I made it to 52 and just that is a freaking miracle. Are you going to?

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    Yeah but with my lifestyle I made it to 52 and just that is a freaking miracle. Are you going to?
    I've never been married or have kids either

Quote Originally Posted by beginner View Post
    I've never been married or have kids either
    Well, I've been married once to a wonderful girl that never asked anything of me. Still, I could not stay. I am so used to be alone that I really prefer it. If I may, how old are you?

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

I hear your only as old as you act. Or atleast I'm still young enough to live by that motto.