Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The fishing blues

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

The fishing blues

Well now that we are musically attuned to fishing, I'm starting a fishing thread. Saturday I'm going to go soak some powerbait at the local reservoir for stocker trout. Is it as much fun as fly fishing in the Sierras or long ranging for tuna? No! But it is still fun!! And my fishing buddy has got his bass boat in order so we will soon be trolling for stripers at Diamond Valley!

It's warm, the sun is out, we should be fishing. Post pics of your catches and tales of your trips. This is about the fine bloodsport of fishing.

I might add that I got some Gulp synthetic worms I'm going to try, so I'll have an AAR report and an evaluation on them. I also am going to sling some new Panther Martin spinners with copper blades on my ultralight rig. Durn, now I've got me all riled up to go! Guess I'll have to lube a reel and organize my tackle when I get home. Maybe I'll even consult Colonel Beam on proper fishing mindset.
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 03-22-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: replace video
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

G-Damn it Grumpy... I'm stuck in limbo here between a premature melt ruining ice fishing, and waiting for open water season to start. ya b'tard!

All the best luck bud! looking forward to hearing (seeing) results, Aaaand... I would like to hear some tips/tricks, that you guys use down there. nothining that will spoil fish-sec, but maybe little things that you consider 'normal' and the rest of us would think

Ironically enough... I have a few lures that I travel with extensively. I almost always pack a collapeable rod, wherever I go and go throw a cast or 80 in my spare time. I'll find some links for my 'goto' lures... if you will!

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

For me, for trout Panther Martin spinners in the 1/8- 1/16 oz range are fish callers.

Panther Martin - The Greatest Fish Catcher of All Time
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 03-22-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: fAt fingers
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Drowned afew worms the other day no luck.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Good luck - if the wind ever lays down here, we are going out, too.

For the Love of Cats

Ooooh called me on it....

OK, here is my GOTO lure for almost anything that I can catch from shore or a boat, excluding deep water drag trolling.

Northland Fishing Tackle: EYE-BALL JIGĀ® - MW4 1/4 oz.

I use the NO. 12 METALLIC GOLD, AND DO EXTREMELY WELL! ESPECIALLY AROUND HERE!

and this is essentially my favorite crank bait... but in blue (B) and as the 8`three hook version...
    RapalaWorld.com

I'll most likely shit myself

Interesting thread. I was just talking with my dad yesterday while we were workin on my chicken fencing. WE NEED TO GET ON THE LAKE, yesterday.

Sniper, I have several of those Rapala's in different colors. Very nice lures. Question for you about the jig heads. Do they have concave eyes or is that just the way they look on that site? I use some jigs with eyes like that but they are smooth with the lead. I either use them for flies of curly or split tail grubs. Some times will even put a spinner on the jig.

Grumpy I love the panther's for trout and sometimes for crappie or bluegill.

Do you have a robot?
    ONe stick of Dyno Nobel is usually all I need for my limit. This way I don't have to deal with all those sharp hooks.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Ditto T on the Rapala. This one in a #9 is deadly and work very well on the Green River, Ut

(MN)

These are my other go to's for river fishing.

(G)

(RT)

This one is my goto for Walleye.

Brass Lil Jake Spin-A-lure

Last edited by Evolver; 03-24-2012 at 12:51 PM.

For the Love of Cats

The eyes of the jigs are concave, with metalic eyes.