Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dental Emergencies

For the Love of Cats

Yup.. this is a tough one post SHTF. a bad tooth can be pulled by wiggling it loose and then using the old string/door method... but how many teeth can you afford to lose before you cant chew? I also have a set of pics, and an awesome dremel set up with some tiny tiny bits. worse comes to worse... I imagine I would do whatever it takes to fix the problem.

What is the substance that the dentists uses to fill the hole the drill (not the silver filling - the enamel coloured stuff)

I'm thinking that some kind of freezing like the dentist uses would be a good thing to have around too.

Ambesol can be a life or sanity savor if you are a few days away from a dentist. numbs minor things nicely.

I broke a tooth a number of years back on a back-country camping trip, which left the nerve exposed. I was almost to the point where I was ready to pack it in and head home (a 17 hour endeavor), when I came across this little trick...

I tore a piece off a beeswax candle (don't ask... the wife had it) and molded it into an appropriate sized piece. it took a few tries but I was able to effectively 'cap' the tooth which covered the nerve, and eliminated the pain, and covered the sharp edges that were shredding the inside of my mouth and tongue.

Regular wax didn't work, as it seems to melt and fall off from the heat inside your mouth.

Since then.. I have a small beeswax candle in each or our first-aid kits.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    Just be careful with clove oil, it will also eat your tooth away. It will stop the pain immediately, but it will eat the enamel.

I have ALWAYS been glad that I have full dentures. Been nearly 40 years now. Dentists only want you to keep your teeth cause once you have dentures, they are DONE making $ off of you!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Just going through an re-reading this thread, Im reminded of how bad a dental emergency would suck..

I really need to get some dental preps going.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

A laugh a minute
    I keep Peroxide and clove oil at arms length just in case of a tooth ache. But I gargle with peroxide every morning and brush my teeth with it to keep healthy teeth. I also do oil pulling with coconut oil.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Where's the epi?

I sure wish we had someone here with professional dental experience because this is a HUGE issue that so many people can have problems with. I had a friend who had an abscessed tooth while she was pregnant and it became so infected that it went into her blood stream and they had to pull all of her teeth and give her dentures. What would happen to someone like that if SHTF?
    I apologize for nothing...

Do you have a robot?
    DRT....................not good.

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Here's some info on the Herbal alturnatives.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...l-problems.htm
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"