Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing Laundry PAW

Doing Laundry PAW

Not sure where this should go as I dont remember ever discussing it.

So this morning I am at the laundry mat at 7 am. Our one here at home does not accommodate our big ass comforter, so it gets taken to "big mama" down at the "mat"

So I gets to thinking WTF is wifey and me gonna do if we do not have electricity???

SO I will ask.......

Planning on using a generator?

Planning on using a scrub board?

Planning on using your teenager?

To be honest I dont have a damn plan.

Ready set rinse & repeat............

The source of all known trouble in the universe

There are many ways do to laundry without any electricity.

Not this long ago, my mother was still doing laundry in boiling pots. I thinks that it would be interesting to remember these ways and post them here. I'll find info on my mom and grand-mom ways to do it. It certainly will require some muscles on most of it, but we can manage, can we?

I'll most likely shit myself

Wow this never crossed my mind. My grand ma has passed, I'm sure she would have had ideas. Hopefully my mom will remember some. I bet the foxfire series has something in it that will apply. I gotta try and find my link for that. Hopefully it wasn't on the puter that has crapped out.
    I'm sure interested in hearing everyon'e ideas.

I am thinking if there is a creek nearby you could use its flowing motion to help rinse and wring dry by hand after they have been washed

Quote Originally Posted by alaska View Post
    I am thinking if there is a creek nearby you could use its flowing motion to help rinse and wring dry by hand after they have been washed
    Only bad thing about that is possible contamination to the water downstream. That will be a major critical issue if SHTF. Clean water is a problem now in many places.

yes and no. would depend on a few things. dumping into salt water or lake. I would think lake bad , sea no biggie. Also depends on what your using for detergent possibly
    anyways lol it was a thought

Agreed. I was thinking more of rinsing in a creek. I'm 8 hours min. from the ocean. Around here I would go more along the lines of a pit toliet or a drainfield. Let the ground filter out the residue.
    I'm not sure what soap would be best. The wife uses liquid detergent, it goes a lot further, but I'm not sure how rinsing comapres to powder detergent.
    BTW No offence meant!

wonder if you could use simple green which is relatively safe
    no offense taken, Like I said never ever gave it some thought. As I have said in the past , creeks and rivers are everywhere around here

We don't have near the water you do around here, but it's still pretty wet. We average about 60" or precip per year. I just fear what we do have gettin crapped up. There is enough folks around here to trash a river if they don't pay attention.
    Hadn't considered simple Green. Need to look further into that. You may be on to something there.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

One person doing laundry in a stream is ok. One million is a problem. Also, I will post a soap making process today.