Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 55 Gallon drum storage

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    I use something similar, although very crude. I took 3x3 lengths of wood, scalloped out a couple of sections and the barrels lay in the section scalloped out. Very similar to what you have except its wood. This way no need to build a rack system. The two braces on the bottom dont have scallops on both sides, just the top one. Barrels lay in the scallops, put next length of wood on top of them only that piece is scalloped on both sides but offset. One at the front and one at the back and no issues at all!
    I actually considered something like that too. However, I was not able to find any info as to how much compressive force a poly barrel could handle.
    I even had a heck of a time finding something slightly official that said they coul be stored on thier side.
    I knew I could sit on a barrel on its side without flexing it but, there is a big difference between 185lbs and 900+lbs.
    When I decide to move, I can take ALL of this stuff with me.
    In all, I expect the rack to weigh a little over 2600 lbs with 300+ gallons of water.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Holy Crap.
    What a Fluster Cluck.
    So far I have 4 barrels on my new rack. Got them all rinsed out. Three are filled and I am filling the 4th. I decided to give them each a shot of bleach before I close them up. I fill a syringe with about 40 ml or so and squirt it into each barrel. I cap the bungs on the three full ones and then shine my flashlight into the one being filled to see the level. WTFO!!? Foam and bubbles are starting to exit the bung hole!
    Sonuvableech! Did I just put soap in there? I looked at the bottle again. Chorox alright. Chlorox HE. Much ex-navy language came forth. I went looking online for a MSDS to see what was in it or what made it different from regular dilute NaOCl Chlorox. MSDS reads about the same only the NaOH concentration is a little higher. I imagine that not all of the ingredients are listed on the MSDS, just the main stuff.
    I tasted and smelled the water. It smelled chlorinated and I could not taste any thing that was off.
    I thought that maybe it would be OK and not bother changing it out..
    Then I started thinking about 1 Sec After/Zombie Apocalypse/ Aztec 12-21-12/ Obama win/Obama loss/ Locust Swarm/ Terrorist/Solar Flares/Power Grid/Marshal Law/ Hurricanes/Yellowstone/ Cascadia/ Asteroid/Kidney Stones/etc (in no particular order).
    Do it right.
    I drained and rinsed the heck out of all 4 drums. Refilled them and added some Regular Chlorox. No foam.
    NOW I'm ready for any of the above. Except the kidney stones.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I'm not sure how I missed this thread in the first place. I apologize for that.

This is fantastic example of real-world prepping and practical stuff to boot.

Please keep updating it. Sorry to hear about the slight bleach incident but glad it worked out.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

You learn from your mistakes.
    You'd think I would an Einstein by now.
    Then again, some peoples purpose in life is to be an example for others.

Where's the epi?

I know this is a little late for you guys but may be helpful for others using the blue drums. Found this site for a hand pump that looks like it is pretty good and made for them.
    http://better-outdoors.com/ezi-actio...drum-pump.html
    I apologize for nothing...

Well, here I am to resurrect the dead. For the past few weeks I have been having some puddles on the floor in front of my barrels. Not much, but a nuisance. To my great brain the only possibility was ground water seeping thru basement walls. I started to look at the barrels and I discovered that the one on the upper left had a huge dent in it. I tapped on it a few times and was able to shine a super mega lumens lantern thru it. Strange that there was no air in it. Looks like the water had been draining very slowly over a ;long period of time. I cracked the top bung and I could hear air going in. I drained and pumped all the water out. I am thinking I did not properly support the ends of the barrel. I am going to have to rethink this barrel rack idea. But hell, it has lasted 10 years (until now) WITH NO PROBLEMS.

the majority of the poly barrels aren't rated to be sideways racked - the seam just won't hold that weight >>> that's why you see them with a bung hole pump - if you have the height and get a pump or siphon arrangement it's a better set-up for poly barrels ....

Bacon saver

A little tid bit/link of information on collecting rain water in the USA. State by state, check out Colorado an Arkansas, Nevada, to name a couple.
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...lect-rainwater
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    I use something similar, although very crude. I took 3x3 lengths of wood, scalloped out a couple of sections and the barrels lay in the section scalloped out. Very similar to what you have except its wood. This way no need to build a rack system. The two braces on the bottom dont have scallops on both sides, just the top one. Barrels lay in the scallops, put next length of wood on top of them only that piece is scalloped on both sides but offset. One at the front and one at the back and no issues at all!

Crude drawing. . .

O= barrel
    U= scalloped section of wood

...O...O...O...O
    ---u---u---u---u---
    [_____________]
    OK I have to comment on this design for and for Backpacker's comment.

Stormy's Idea is correct as I have read further Alpha had crack issues. "Square peg round hole" syndrome. Proper shape and support would correct the issue blue barrel or not I would think. Just my thoughts, Carry on....
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Hey Gang, I'm back!!
    It has been quite a while, I'll post personal update later.
    Anyway, I have moved lock, stock and blue poly barrels from New Yorkistan to Alabama a.k.a. God's country.
    World events has put a little urgency into my preps. I still have everything as far as preps inventory goes, but my logistics have changed. I went from a 1850 sq ft house with an attic and a basement in NY to a 2000 sq ft ranch style home in AL.
    I brought 5 poly 55 gal barrels with me. This summer was a lot hotter here in AL.
    I need to get a move on with my water storage. I will be forced to put them in my spacious but crowded garage or outside. I have a 12x12 concrete patio that has a mild slope to it. It would be visible from the street if stacked more than two barrels high.
    Due to the shape of the house, there is an area, out of sight, but on the grass. I could probably use those concrete deck footers as a base for a barrel rack
    So, Im looking for suggestions for locations.