Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Civilian vs. Military gear for outdoor activities

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Sniper,

No need to be leary.

Between Me, Stig, Lunchbox, and Tunnelrat, most of your questions could probably be answered. We ARE the certified gear whores.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

Come summer, I will be driving down through NDak, Minn, and spending a week in Wisc. Right now I am taking notes, and searching for stores that carry this stuff. I am a hands on guy, I would rather be able to try something, than blindly buy something with no knowledge going in (of 3rd hand only).

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

This is a good thread in regards to gear. I have handled most everything out from high to low end stuff. I will say this much, you can spend as much as you want and not be happy. As Izzy said....ask the questions before you buy if your in doubt. It doesn't matter if your getting high end or military issue gear. It is not all made the same.

Sniper-t, I don't know how many good locations will be in the area you mentioned. I know there are some in Wash. due to 10th MN. being there. If you need something from this far south just let us know, I've shipped numerous items up north and I'm sure some others would also.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

I know of a couple surplus outlets along the way (and a little out of the way - lol. When the time is getting closer, I will be spending more time getting prices on specific items, and then hopefully I can check them out enroute. If you guys have better prices down there, I'll look at purchasing there. I can always have stuff shipped to an American location that is handy, and pick it up on the way home.

Much of my stuff is mil surp because its cast offs, extras etc of stuff I used in the .mil for 22 years. I used it in the field, so I feel that I know it works. Is it the latest and greatest stuff? Nope, but I don't absolutely need that either.
    Much of the civilian stuff is not considered for the cost and durability issues you mentioned.

I'd rather dump the bigger bucks on other gear that I don't already have and save a few bucks by using whats already in my basement until such time as I find a replacement that for whatever reason I feel justified spending the cash on.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    I know of a couple surplus outlets along the way (and a little out of the way - lol. When the time is getting closer, I will be spending more time getting prices on specific items, and then hopefully I can check them out enroute. If you guys have better prices down there, I'll look at purchasing there. I can always have stuff shipped to an American location that is handy, and pick it up on the way home.
    Sniper.....you just let me know what you need.....we'll make it happen
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Come summer, I will be driving down through NDak, Minn, and spending a week in Wisc. Right now I am taking notes, and searching for stores that carry this stuff. I am a hands on guy, I would rather be able to try something, than blindly buy something with no knowledge going in (of 3rd hand only).
    I do expect to get a call/email/smoke signal from you before you pass thru Wisconsin, and a stop in for a frosty beverage and a grilled meal!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.