Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear Review: Gerber Parang

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Gear Review: Gerber Parang

I picked this little jewel up last gear run I made with Lunchbox.

Figured now was as good a time as any to dust it off and do a review.

This is the Gerber Bear Gryllis Parang.

While technically considered a machete, I wouldn't put this into any normal category. It's not a knife, but it's not really a machete either.

First impression was that this thing is built tough. It is not flimsy like most machetes on the market. Try to flex the blade......it's not happening.

Handle is a combination of hard plastic and rubber, held very securely by 2 star bits on each side of the handle.

It is very comfortable to hold, but because of the curved blade design, it feels a little odd at first.

That odd feeling went away very quickly.

I figured that as it is marketed as a machete, I would try a few machete tasks.

Taking some swings at branches and vines around the homestead, I quickly became bored. SO bored, I didn't even take pics. This thing just mowed right through them.

Let's try something different.

I started the real testing by trying something machetes are not designed to do....... chop thick branches.

Lucky for me (and you) I had a fresh, green pine branch that dropped from the tree last night. Wet wood is much more resilient than dry, so I gave it a go.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

1st test.) Tree branch approximately 1 inch diameter.

Butter. One swing was all it took.

Okay....so it can chop kindling.......pretty cleanly, I might add.....

let's try something bigger.......
    Last edited by izzyscout21; 04-01-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2nd Test.) 1.5 inch diameter branch

Again, like butter. 2 good whacks was all it took.

Look how clean the cuts are

Test 3.) 2 1/2 diameter branch

This was interesting.......

As you can see, it took me a few good hits. After all, it is a machete, not a hatchet. I'm sure the tool was not designed to do this........

1st swing....nice and deep.....

after a few more......

done.....

By George, it did it.......

To say that I was pleasantly surprised was an understatement.

If I were without a hatchet, I would not feel bad about only having this tool. It takes a few extra swings, but it can definitely perform.

It seems that the sturdiness of construction and the unique curvature of the blade really helped give it that extra power needed to cut the thick branches.

I am very confident in this tool as a brush clearer and firewood procurement tool.

It has an MSRP of $43 (per Gerber's website), but can be found at better prices elsewhere on the net.

I would recommend this piece of gear to anyone, whether you use it for brush clearing, firewood, or zombie head choppin'.

Gerber thought this one out, and it shows.

Izzy

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Nice.
    It might be time to retire the old school machetes.

I was absolutely amazed at how much power you could get out of a swing.

I'll most likely shit myself

I've got an old POS machete I use for choppin corn. Works OK for that, but no way I'd put it to the test you did. May have to pick up one of those. I think I saw one at Dick's or Gander Mountian. Can't remember the cost, but I'm thinking $30 or a little more best I recall.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

It looks like an old cavalry saber had sex with a Gurkha knife.

How heavy is this thing? Also, what sort of sheaf did it come with?

Wondering if this could be lashed to the side of a pack without much hassle or weight penalty.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

It's not very heavy at all.

Per the Gerber website:

• Weight (with sheath): 25.4 oz.
    • Weight (no sheath): 19.4 oz

The sheath is *okay*......

it's different. opens from the side and the toll snaps in. I'm not all that impressed with the construction materials.....but I do work with kydex....................