Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canning Outdoors. ( My Eureka Moment)

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    I have been looking at Bass Pro and they do not seem to have this pressure canner. They have friers but nothing that you could cook low acid foods in. Any idea where the pressure canner in the video came from?
    Lady, the canner in the Video is an All-American. I can't quite tell the model, but I can tell you they are spendy. But they are the Rolls Royce of pressures canners.

ETA. You can find them on many survival gear pimp websites or here

Home Canning Supplies, Canning Jars, Tools & Ingredients - Canning Supply
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 04-02-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Your welcome Katrina, There has been allot of flat tops broken due to the weight of a fully loaded 22qt canner. How it happens?... who knows it might be the temp + weight + a dropped something on the surface but it has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    I have been looking at Bass Pro and they do not seem to have this pressure canner. They have friers but nothing that you could cook low acid foods in. Any idea where the pressure canner in the video came from?
    The Bass Pro sale is just for the Propane Cooker/Burner less the tank only. If you want to can on it you need to supply your own Pressure Canner or Water Bath Canner depending on the acid content in your foods.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
    I like the stoutness of that one! It looks like a good one.

Walking on Sunshine

You know you guys, my Christmas list is getting longer and longer, every time I learn about these cool gadgets.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Lady, the canner in the Video is an All-American. I can't quite tell the model, but I can tell you they are spendy. But they are the Rolls Royce of pressures canners.

ETA. You can find them on many survival gear pimp websites or here

Home Canning Supplies, Canning Jars, Tools & Ingredients - Canning Supply
    I actually went last night (in the middle of the night...half asleep) and found them at I do believe All American and you are right, they are expensive. There are 2 models that are made for the propane tank. One is over $400 and the other is over $600. (pressure canner only) then the stand it goes on that connects to the propane tank is another $120.
    I was almost thinking that one of those would be good to use in my summer kitchen instead of a full sized gas range but actually the range would be just as cheap plus I would get more burners to use at the same time. It was a good thought though.
    I apologize for nothing...

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    Your welcome Katrina, There has been allot of flat tops broken due to the weight of a fully loaded 22qt canner. How it happens?... who knows it might be the temp + weight + a dropped something on the surface but it has happened.
    From what I have read, the problem is that most canners are larger than the heating "ring" on the stove and the high temps on the glass that is outside of the ring is too high and can crack the glass. My stove actually has a burner that I can chose to have a normal size burner area or I can also push a button to enlarge the area to accomodate the large pots and pans so I guess that is why I can use my pressure canner on my flat top. Also, my canner has a flat bottom so the temps do not fluctuate either since the whole pot makes contact with the stove. those are considerations you have to look at, it depends on your stove and it's features as to whether you can use a pressure canner.
    I apologize for nothing...

Is kinda partial to Charmin...can you spare a square
    We can outside, on the back porch, exclusively. We have been doing it for several years. The stove that we us is a Camp Chef Yukon. It has three burners that develop 30,000 BTU's on each burner. The controls are fully adjustable from full blast to VERY low. We use our water bath canner out there and also our All American 30 qt pressure canner.

A link to the stove is here:

Tahoe Triple Burner Cooker - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors

We originally purchased the stove for camping, but it gets a workout all year round.

We keep LOTS of propane stored so we have never run out. We have bottles ranging from 25lb to 100lb.

Oh yeah, we found our All American canner on Craig's list for $100.00. One of the best investments that we have made. Going to take the plunge this year and get a new one so we can have one going on the stove and one getting loaded up. There is more than enough room on the stove to keep two of these monsters going at the same time.

Bob
    III

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks IB, that looks good as well. MMMM more toys!!!!

A laugh a minute
    ID is that stove strong enough to hold 3 big cookers? In the pic the legs don't look like it is.

Is kinda partial to Charmin...can you spare a square
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    ID is that stove strong enough to hold 3 big cookers? In the pic the legs don't look like it is.
    How big are you asking?

With the size of the cook top, I can fit two 21 Quart Water Bath Canners or two All American 30 Quart Pressure Canners. If the stove top was, oh, lets say 6-8 inches wider, we could fit a canner over each burner.

The legs are strong enough to withstand two fully filled (they say 19 pint jars, but I only use 18 pint jars) 30 Quart Pressure canners. I haven't weighed one that is full, but since I pack them from the kitchen out to the back porch, where the stove is, and back, I know that the things are damned heavy!

Especially when we are canning meat, with all of the cutting, packing jars, etc, 2 canners keeps me jumpin'!

Hope that answers your question.

Bob
    III