Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canning Outdoors. ( My Eureka Moment)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    Your welcome Katrina, There has been allot of flat tops broken due to the weight of a fully loaded 22qt canner. How it happens?... who knows it might be the temp + weight + a dropped something on the surface but it has happened.
    From what I have read, the problem is that most canners are larger than the heating "ring" on the stove and the high temps on the glass that is outside of the ring is too high and can crack the glass. My stove actually has a burner that I can chose to have a normal size burner area or I can also push a button to enlarge the area to accomodate the large pots and pans so I guess that is why I can use my pressure canner on my flat top. Also, my canner has a flat bottom so the temps do not fluctuate either since the whole pot makes contact with the stove. those are considerations you have to look at, it depends on your stove and it's features as to whether you can use a pressure canner.
    I apologize for nothing...

For the Love of Cats

I have one similar to this:

Cabela's: King Kooker Turkey Fryer

crossed with this:

Wholesale Sports

It's probably 20+ years old, so it doesn't really have a current counterpart any more.

It has no flame adjustments on the unit itself, it is always on, as soon as you turn the bottle on; but I can regulate the flame down as low as I want simply by turning the bottle down low

ETA:
    An accepted rule of thumb for cooking a turkey is 3-4 minutes per pound. so, a 15 pound bird takes less than an hour. Doing multiple batches of corn on the cob (water, not oil) I ran mine on full high for almost 6 hours on a single 20# propane tank. When cooking a bird (or anything with oil) you want to watch your temps carefully, as it can creep up to a flash point. So generally, on high, get it up to temp, reduce heat, stabilize temp, add bird, slightly increase heat to regain temp, and then watch, once it starts creeping up again, reduce heat.

sound complicated? it's not! the initial temp stabilization is less than a minute, add the bird, watch it for a minute, then just kinda watch it for the next 1/2 hour, and adjust as necessary.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 04-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Walking on Sunshine

Lady, manufacturer of stove had it in their manual not to use pressure cookers on stove. BUT I have a brand new stove coming as part of the pantry "renovation" LOL. So maybe it will be different. But that turkey fryer looks like it may do the trick if I can't use the stove.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
    I like the stoutness of that one! It looks like a good one.

Walking on Sunshine

You know you guys, my Christmas list is getting longer and longer, every time I learn about these cool gadgets.

Is kinda partial to Charmin...can you spare a square
    We can outside, on the back porch, exclusively. We have been doing it for several years. The stove that we us is a Camp Chef Yukon. It has three burners that develop 30,000 BTU's on each burner. The controls are fully adjustable from full blast to VERY low. We use our water bath canner out there and also our All American 30 qt pressure canner.

A link to the stove is here:

Tahoe Triple Burner Cooker - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors

We originally purchased the stove for camping, but it gets a workout all year round.

We keep LOTS of propane stored so we have never run out. We have bottles ranging from 25lb to 100lb.

Oh yeah, we found our All American canner on Craig's list for $100.00. One of the best investments that we have made. Going to take the plunge this year and get a new one so we can have one going on the stove and one getting loaded up. There is more than enough room on the stove to keep two of these monsters going at the same time.

Bob
    III

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks IB, that looks good as well. MMMM more toys!!!!

A laugh a minute
    ID is that stove strong enough to hold 3 big cookers? In the pic the legs don't look like it is.

Is kinda partial to Charmin...can you spare a square
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    ID is that stove strong enough to hold 3 big cookers? In the pic the legs don't look like it is.
    How big are you asking?

With the size of the cook top, I can fit two 21 Quart Water Bath Canners or two All American 30 Quart Pressure Canners. If the stove top was, oh, lets say 6-8 inches wider, we could fit a canner over each burner.

The legs are strong enough to withstand two fully filled (they say 19 pint jars, but I only use 18 pint jars) 30 Quart Pressure canners. I haven't weighed one that is full, but since I pack them from the kitchen out to the back porch, where the stove is, and back, I know that the things are damned heavy!

Especially when we are canning meat, with all of the cutting, packing jars, etc, 2 canners keeps me jumpin'!

Hope that answers your question.

Bob
    III