Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canning Outdoors. ( My Eureka Moment)

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Canning Outdoors. ( My Eureka Moment)

Ever since we started prepping and canning I have been thinking of the best ways to can outdoors if need be.

Colman stoves are out of the question do to the weight of a loaded canner, On a grate with a fire under it would be a choir just tending to the fire but will work, so we planed on using your gas grill... it would probably work ok but it wouldn't be very efficient.

Today I was on a forum board and a member posted that Bass Pro Shop online has a propane cooker w/ 10.5 qt aluminum pot onsale for $29.97 and $5 shipping so I went to Bass Pro's web site to see what he was talking about.

Well Eureka!!!

After looking into more I found that they're mainly used for shellfish boils (a way to boil a large amount of water) and also turkey frying and I'm not the only one out there that has thought of using it for canning.

For the Love of Cats

you'll love it. They are really popular up here for anything from turkeys to chicken wings to fish frys, to spaghetti, etc.

Hadn't thought of canning, until now! tx!

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Your welcome! What brand do you have and with yours can you fine tune the flame to a low, med or high simmer? Someone said that they changed out the valve on his so he could run it at a lower setting.

Walking on Sunshine

Evolver,
    THANK YOU! I have flat top stove and can't pressure can on it. I thought about using the gas grill for the canner but wasn't sure I could control the heat well enough. The set up you have looks like a good idea. I was thinking I would have to go to commercial kitchen and rent the stoves there. We have lady in town that has turned an old small restaurant into a community kitchen for rent for small home food businesses but she is a bit expensive. This will probably save me some $ in the long run

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Evolver,
    THANK YOU! I have flat top stove and can't pressure can on it. I thought about using the gas grill for the canner but wasn't sure I could control the heat well enough. The set up you have looks like a good idea. I was thinking I would have to go to commercial kitchen and rent the stoves there. We have lady in town that has turned an old small restaurant into a community kitchen for rent for small home food businesses but she is a bit expensive. This will probably save me some $ in the long run
    Katrina, I have a flat top stove and can/pressure cook on mine all the time. I have no problems at all. Did someone tell you that you couldn't or are you just having problems doing it?
    I apologize for nothing...

Where's the epi?

Any way we could find out how much propane it would use to do a batch of chicken?

Where's the epi?

I have been looking at Bass Pro and they do not seem to have this pressure canner. They have friers but nothing that you could cook low acid foods in. Any idea where the pressure canner in the video came from?

For the Love of Cats

I have one similar to this:

Cabela's: King Kooker Turkey Fryer

crossed with this:

Wholesale Sports

It's probably 20+ years old, so it doesn't really have a current counterpart any more.

It has no flame adjustments on the unit itself, it is always on, as soon as you turn the bottle on; but I can regulate the flame down as low as I want simply by turning the bottle down low

ETA:
    An accepted rule of thumb for cooking a turkey is 3-4 minutes per pound. so, a 15 pound bird takes less than an hour. Doing multiple batches of corn on the cob (water, not oil) I ran mine on full high for almost 6 hours on a single 20# propane tank. When cooking a bird (or anything with oil) you want to watch your temps carefully, as it can creep up to a flash point. So generally, on high, get it up to temp, reduce heat, stabilize temp, add bird, slightly increase heat to regain temp, and then watch, once it starts creeping up again, reduce heat.

sound complicated? it's not! the initial temp stabilization is less than a minute, add the bird, watch it for a minute, then just kinda watch it for the next 1/2 hour, and adjust as necessary.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 04-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Walking on Sunshine

Lady, manufacturer of stove had it in their manual not to use pressure cookers on stove. BUT I have a brand new stove coming as part of the pantry "renovation" LOL. So maybe it will be different. But that turkey fryer looks like it may do the trick if I can't use the stove.