Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunger Games

Dont worry about shitting yourself

Hunger Games

Anybody see this movie?
    Saw the trailer waiting to see Act of Valor, and it looked interesting. Well, a friend of our daughter was invited to see it, and then go to her friends' for a sleep over.
    You know, a bunch of teenage girls. Glad it wasn't at my house.
    Anyway, since one of us had to deliver her to the theater, and we both wanted to see it anyway, we just both went, and stayed to see it ourselves.
    Between the time I saw the trailer and the time I saw the movie, I learned that it is based on a trilogy of books, and I believe the author wrote the screenplay.
    All in all, we thought is was a pretty good, entertainment wise. It seems to be generating a fair bit of controversy, as it is set with everybody living under a totalitarian regime that has been in power for some time. As "punishment" for some "uprising" that happened quite some time back, every district (there are 12) must submit one male and one female to got to the capitol (where the elite live in opulence, versus the poverty of the rest), get about 1 week training in fighting and survival, and then are set loose to grab whatever supplies and weapons they can. Only one can win, by being the last one alive.
    This happens yearly.
    Of course the area of "the games" is heavily loaded with cameras, the contestants all have implanted trackers, and the whole thing is televised.
    It didn't seem to portray the life under totalitarianism as especially good. It didn't seem to portray any particular country. The elites were pretty freaky, been secluded way too long.
    Plenty entertaining, and the best fighter wasn't guaranteed a win, as the elements were just as dangerous as the other players.

Walking on Sunshine

The books were very good. Haven't seen the movie yet. But heard it's pretty close to the book. I hope, if they make the other two into movies, they stay true to storyline.

Where's the epi?

I can't wait to see it. But then again, I was a huge Harry Potter fan :} I never knew that there were a series of books, guess I'm going to have to go buy them now. I might even learn something.
    I apologize for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    The books were very good. Haven't seen the movie yet. But heard it's pretty close to the book. I hope, if they make the other two into movies, they stay true to storyline.
    I've heard some grumbling about changes. However, since the screen play was written by the author I can't imagine that it strays to far.

For the Love of Cats

I might have to wait for the video... not sure if I'll get the wife out to that one!

lol

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks carly, I have one last gift card from Christmas to use up. Maybe we'll go this week.

most of the movie was filmed about 15 miles away. I have to say the local crowds seem to have enjoied the movie.

For the Love of Cats

Saw it with the wife last week. I thought it was ok, I kinda liked the idea of the hunt/battle. Definately something I would have wanted to do when I was that age (and still now - lol)

But the wife... well she had some issues with it. Predominately surrounding the whole idea of kids hunting kids, and killing each other. She coaches and trains children of all ages, and given the hype around this, and the following it has garnered; she was quite disgusted.

How about the rest of you with kids? do you think it is something appropriate for them to see? Have your kids seen it? Do they want to go out into the woods somewhere and play it? Would you let them?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Ever heard of paintball?

Tell her she just needs to modify the way shes training them and they will do fine hunting each other.....

- - - Updated - - -

And yes....my kids have seen it....thought the folks in there were doing some stupid stuff....I was so proud...
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

The whole movie had me questioning society's moral standards. Atleast until the end. The ending rocked. I just don't know how to explain it. In book form, I don't think I would've been so disgusted. But on screen, the visual presentation of a gov't selecting random children to battle to the death to honor history just further proves the level of decay our entertainment department is willing to drop to in order to do its job.

I understand its fiction. The movie has me curious to go and read all the books before the next movie.

I think I compare and contrast this movie to the flick "condemned" Where violent offenders are selected to have it out on an island, winner gets their freedom. The controversy is obvious, and seeing lifers take each other out, to me, is far more justifiable or maybe the term "acceptable" vs. innocent children being taken from their homes by the government to serve that reality's citizens lust for entertainment using past history to justify the need for it.

If this reply didn't make all that much sense, I'm sorry, I tried talking to my wife about this movie for a good hour to try and paint a picture of how taken back I was with this film. I understand the underlying messages and everything, but I know that not in a million years will a movie such as this register as entertainment in this guy's brain housing unit. However, like I said, the ending made me feel a little bit better about it.