Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I.V. fail

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I'd rather be shot at then get another I.V. I almost puked watching you get one... Lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Where's the epi?

So that guy actually got trained???? Let me guess...OJT??? He stayed at a Holiday Inn?
    I apologize for nothing...

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    So that guy actually got trained???? Let me guess...OJT??? He stayed at a Holiday Inn?
    One word.......INFANTRY......
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by vertstang86 View Post
    god izzy... that must have been a fun experience...

IV's are my least favorite part of the upcoming medical training, as i believe we learn via practicing on each other

Learning to do IV's is probably one of the most "interesting" tasks a infantryman can learn! (next to the nasal pharyngeal!)

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Like you dont love sporting that CIB! Started out in the Marine Infantry back in 1986. . . rejoined the Infantry in the Army, somehow all roads lead me back to the boots on the ground!

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    HA! Say no more..... poor Izzy. Next time ask for a Combat Medic, will ya? You are making everyone here sick with your vid.
    I apologize for nothing...

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Quote Originally Posted by vertstang86 View Post
    god izzy... that must have been a fun experience...

IV's are my least favorite part of the upcoming medical training, as i believe we learn via practicing on each other
    If you are going to start an I.V. you should know how it feels,whether it's a good stick the first time or not..I've been stuck countless times training young Medics.
    and they got stuck too.It's part of the passage.
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by IDTANDY View Post
    If you are going to start an I.V. you should know how it feels,whether it's a good stick the first time or not..I've been stuck countless times training young Medics.
    and they got stuck too.It's part of the passage.
    Good point... kind of correlates to why cops get OC'd and tazed before they can use the specific weapon...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    HA! Say no more..... poor Izzy. Next time ask for a Combat Medic, will ya? You are making everyone here sick with your vid.
    our medic was in another vehicle 100m away in a sandstorm and was also getting shot at. He was a tad occupado.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

In his experience the hammer head is better

I know its been a while since ive been on here, but medical is my forte. I start a ton of iv's in all different sizes. It is a perishable skill, and some days just really suck for hitting veins on old ladies and the such. I have on occasion started an IV on myself for dehydration secondary to a stomach bug. I have also been the subject of helping many newer medics learn. The three things I will suggest are three of the most common mistakes I see in the field.

Heres what I see wrong with the IV attempts:

1. When starting an IV come in on a shallower angle, the steep angle this guys is using can lead to failure. You see how he goes in and then moves the needle shallower, you tend to create a lot of torsion on the vein causing it to get all jacked up. Come in with no more than a 20 degree or so angle and you will do better.

2. When you get a flash in the catheter you have just barley broke through the vein. The tip of the bevel is just barley in. You need to push just a hair further before you advance the actual plastic cath all the way in.

3. Do not pull the needle part way out and try to reinsert it, that will lead to the kink at the end of the cath like we saw.

Izzys veins are plenty ample for the 18 gauge cath they were using, I have put 14 gauge caths in arms like that many times. Just take practice and not making these small errors which will ruin a IV attempt instantly.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov