Thread: I.V. fail

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I.V. fail

I chose to share this video both as a means of amusement and as a learning tool.

This vid was taken back in 2008 while I was delpoyed. Location is Sadr City in Baghdad, Iraq.

points I wanted to make are:

1.) Get proper training. Even though you have the supplies, doesn't mean you are qualified with the procedure. Look at us in the vid. We are all trained in use and insertion of IV fluids, but that doesn't mean it's easy. Unless you are a lab tech or nurse and do dozens of these on a daily basis, chances are you are not getting it done on first stick.

2.) Stress plays a big role in this. Even though we seem at ease in the vid, we are in fact getting shot at. Just goes to show that under fire or under stress, things get harder to do.

3.) I am not volunteering to let anyone use my are for training....LOL..... seriously the only reason I am getting the IV is because I dysentery. What you don't see is the vomit all over the floor of the Stryker. Dysentery sucks. That's another lesson we have covered elsewhere on the forum

Last edited by izzyscout21; 04-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.