Thread: Survive a Tornado

For the Love of Cats

Survive a Tornado

I have had this kicking around for a while, but given the Texas threa... I dug it out.

I don`t know the origin, so consider it Sniped:

If a tornado warning is issued for your location, take the following steps immediately if you are at home:

-Go at once to the basement, storm cellar, or the lowest level of the building.

-If there is no basement, go to an inner hallway or a smaller inner room without windows, such as a bathroom or closet.

-Get away from the windows.

-Go to the center of the room. Debris can sometimes come through walls..

-Get under a piece of sturdy furniture such as a workbench or heavy table or desk and hold on to it.

-If you have time, get a mattress or blankets to protect your head and the heads of any children with you. If you don't have time, use your arms to protect your head and neck.

**** If you live in a mobile home, get out and find shelter elsewhere in a permanent building. ****

A tornado could threaten you when you are away from home, in a car, a building, or a park. Here are several steps you can take:.

If at work or school:

-Go to the basement or to an inside hallway at the lowest level.

-Avoid places with wide-span roofs such as auditoriums, cafeterias, large hallways, or shopping malls.

-Get under a piece of sturdy furniture such as a workbench or heavy table or desk and hold on to it.

-Use your arms to protect your head and neck.

If outdoors:

-If possible, get inside a building.

-If shelter is not available or there is no time to get indoors, lie in a ditch or low-lying area or crouch near a strong building. Be aware of the potential for flooding.

-Use arms to protect head and neck.

If in a car:

-Never try to out drive a tornado in a car or truck. Tornadoes can change direction quickly and can lift up a car or truck and toss it through the air.

-Get out of the car immediately and take shelter in a nearby building.

-If there is no time to get indoors, get out of the car and lie in a ditch or low-lying area away from the vehicle. Be aware of the potential for flooding.

I'll most likely shit myself

The national weather service gives the exact same list during their skywarn spotter training. Good advise IMO