Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing beets of all kinds

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Found this.

Sugar beets
    "A mature sugar beet measures up to a foot long, weighs three to five pounds and can produce about five ounces of sugar."

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Or you might try sorghum, grows easily and is a relatively simple process- much like maple sugaring.

AGR-123: Processing Sweet Sorghum for Syrup

Kerr Center Publications: Sweet Sorghum Production and Processing

Agricultural Marketing Resource Center - General Sorghum

Sorghum also has the added benefit of being a good base to make ethanol for fuel. Just a thought.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Watch one, Do one, Teach one

A laugh a minute
    I don't think I can grow sugar cane where I am at. Because it snows there. When I was in Fla I grew it and ate it off the cane.

They grow sugarcane in areas here where it snows. Not sure about total hardiness.

I'll most likely shit myself

Are there mulitple varities of cane? Maybe some of them are more cold hardy. Maybe not as productive, but still worthwhile. Sorghum is a crop that has been grown around here for many years. It would probably be a good idea to try and find plans on making a press and extraction system.

Ask and ye shall receive!

sorghum | mills | presses

Scroll down to the old press section and you'll find 3 for sale. They are kind of like a washer ringer, only set vertically instead of horizontally.

Here is an antique press.

Meriden Antique Engine & Threshers Association

Instructions for using an old wringer washer

How to Construct a Sorghum Mill | eHow.com

And pictures of old presses. I figure with all the tinkerers here one of you guys can build a passable press from looking at the photos.

Sweet Sorghum or sometimes known as Sorghum Molasses
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

I think you could make a press using 2 conveyor belt idlers with sprockets on the end. Sniper, start designing!

Quo Vadis?

For the Love of Cats

not quite what I had in mind grumpy... but I'll post tomorrow, with an effective cane/beet juice extraction system

I plan on growing cane this year, here in CANADA. land of the freeze. It is unlikely that it will last as a perennial, but as long as I keep some canes, to over winter indoors, I should be able to grow it indefinately.

From what I read, unless it gets stupid cold, it will 'hibernate' if it gets stupid cold, the stocks will burst.

BTW Canada gets stupid cold. Southern USA... Not so much!

A laugh a minute
    Ok I found a place for all syrup. Just found it and haven't read it yet, but it looks good enough info on it. Even for cane Sniper

SYRUPMAKERS