Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squash

For the Love of Cats

Squash

Butternut...

I've eaten it many times, either at friends or in resteraunts, and actually cooked with it, either from a can or frozen pcs.

But, today... TODAY!!!

I just cut up my first whole one on my own. The smell alone was wonderful!

Questions:

The seeds are very much like pumpkin seeds... anyone do them up like that?
    I don't know if the squash I had is organic or not, but I saved the seeds anyways, I'm saving about 1/2 for planting; and since I had my dehydrator running anyways... I blanched the rest, seasoned them and tossed them on a tray. we'll see! lol

What are some other types you guys like, why, and what all can you do with them?

Butternut makes great soup. My favorite is acorn squash baked with nutmeg.

A laugh a minute
    acorn is a good one. Cut in half and Mix Cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar together and sprinkle on top Nice smooth not bitter taste. Spaghetti squash is just what it says a substitute for spaghetti noodles

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Butternut...

I've eaten it many times, either at friends or in resteraunts, and actually cooked with it, either from a can or frozen pcs.

But, today... TODAY!!!

I just cut up my first whole one on my own. The smell alone was wonderful!

Questions:

The seeds are very much like pumpkin seeds... anyone do them up like that?
    I don't know if the squash I had is organic or not, but I saved the seeds anyways, I'm saving about 1/2 for planting; and since I had my dehydrator running anyways... I blanched the rest, seasoned them and tossed them on a tray. we'll see! lol

What are some other types you guys like, why, and what all can you do with them?
    Good question! I don't see why you couldn't eat the squash seeds just like you do pumpkin. Come to think about it I have never even seen squash seeds packaged of eating. You got me thinking too.

A laugh a minute
    I have found squash seeds at the health food stores so yes you can. But I have not roasted any myself. I would think that any seed that is plumb and big like a pumpkin seed you can eat. Think about i, if you eat the veggie you can eat the seeds

For the Love of Cats

The seeds turned out fantastic!! I'll certainly be doing them again in the future!

Walking on Sunshine

Guess you tried drying them. We always take squash/pumpkin seeds and soak them in a salt water solution, then spread out on cookie sheets, roast in the oven about 325-350 for about 1/2- 1 hour. stir once or twice. let cool put in mason jar or zip lock when completely cool.

I'll most likely shit myself

Butternut, Acorn, and spaghetti squash are our 3 favorites. I got some seeds from a prepper buddy of mine on another site that I'm gonna try this year. He didn't have a name for it. I'll post up a thread at the end of summer to see how they turned out.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Guess you tried drying them. We always take squash/pumpkin seeds and soak them in a salt water solution, then spread out on cookie sheets, roast in the oven about 325-350 for about 1/2- 1 hour. stir once or twice. let cool put in mason jar or zip lock when completely cool.
    ^
    I've done pumpkin seeds both ways (dehydrate and bake). since I had the dehydrator going anyways I thought I'd save a dirty pan from the oven. lol.
    But either way, they will be very good. Squash is something that I will be adding to my garden this year!!

I'll most likely shit myself

Squash is a good storage food. Winter squash anyway. I've still got a couple of butternuts left from last year. Acorns will last maybe 3 months. Spaghetti maybe 1-2 depending on conditions. 4-6 plants are what i usually plant of butternut and acorn and that provides a good amount of food in a average season.